How far can you go underwater without a breath?

Former Member
Former Member
We were goofing around after practice the other day and decided to see who could swim the farthest underwater. We both went well over 50 meters (the underwater turn was a killer). I opted for dolphin kicking a ways and then switched to the underwater breastroke. I’m not sure which technique is better for distance as opposed to speed. Anyone out there ever make a full 100m underwater? Oh yeah, this can be dangerous because a lot of people pass out. So if you make an attempt, be sure someone is on deck watching you. Perhaps some of you dorks could even put on your competitions suits and monofins and see if it improves your performance. You guys kill me with all your equipment.
  • so, to answer the question: How far can you go underwater without a breath? i'm pretty sure i can go all the way to the emergency room with a little practice! Thank you, Chaos! You've given me the perfect retort to my 30-something coach the next time he wants me to swim a "hypoxic" set. :bump: On a side note, I've been doing quite a bit of reading on the value of hypoxic swimming. Since I am a 50+ swimmer who only recently came back to the sport after a very long absence, I believe there are limitations to what I can do at my age. Instead, I prefer to do what I call "controlled breathing" during the hypoxic sets my coach asks me to do. I've been able to do 3/5/7/9 stuff, but I never do it while trying to swim fast, or when I'm tired.
  • quite impressive He did a great job with efficiency, streamlining, & conservation of energy through proper pacing How much time did it take him to cover that distance? About 4 minutes and 10 seconds.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 13 years ago
    anyone who is really interested in developing this skill should seek out a free diving coach.
  • Does anyone else feel like they have to pee when swimming underwater? And does it give anyone else a headache that lasts all day? I always attribute it to all of my organs shutting down, so when we have underwaters in practice, I use that time to work on swimming efficently and calmly, but never to the point of pain. As much as it is exciting thrill to go the whole way underwater in a pool, now that I've done it, I'm going to forgo the headache and peeing if it's not going to make me a better swimmer.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 13 years ago
    This is not a record in swimming, but as a metaphorical example of the phrase “Who can hold their breath under water the longest?”, I believe the labor standoff between walnut workers of the Teamsters Union and Blue Diamond Inc. was the longest in U.S. history: goliath.ecnext.com/.../Contract-vote-by-Diamond-Walnut.html Yeah it’s a really tacky comment, but the board has been pretty slow lately and I thought it would lighten things up a bit. :bolt: D2
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    I am a 56-year old disabled Veteran who swam underwater with no fins 50-yards on Wednesday, April 8th, 2015 at the LA Fitness center in Trumbull, CT. Did I set any records for my age?
  • Reminder (compliments of Wikipedia): Shallow water blackout is a loss of consciousness caused by cerebral hypoxia towards the end of a breath-hold dive in water typically shallower than five metres (16 feet), when the swimmer does not necessarily experience an urgent need to breathe and has no other obvious medical condition that might have caused it. It can be caused by taking several very deep breaths, or hyperventilating, just before a dive. Victims are often established practitioners of breath-hold diving, are fit, strong swimmers, and have not experienced problems before. Many drowning and near drowning events occur among swimmers who black out underwater while free-diving or doing breath-hold pool laps. Blacking out, or greying out, near the end of a breath-hold dive is common. Although the mechanism is well understood, it is not common knowledge among breath-hold divers. Shallow water blackout is related to, but differs from deep water blackout in its characteristics, mechanism and prevention;deep water blackout is precipitated by depressurisation on ascent from depth. Blackout may also be referred to as asyncope or fainting.
  • Former Member
    When I swam for a USA club team, we once did a set of 4x100 yd underwaters on some interval. I think I made two of them, but a couple of the absolute monsters on the team completed all 4 without breaking the surface.
  • I really think this thread should be closed.I am no fan of FINA on most things,but they got it right on limiting underwater swimming to 15M. Seeing how far you can swim underwater is just dangerous.
  • Former Member
    Enough with the excuses. Someone make a run at 100m. Sure, you could die, but you will be forever immortalized on this message board. What more do you need? totally worth it! :banana: