How far can you go underwater without a breath?

Former Member
Former Member
We were goofing around after practice the other day and decided to see who could swim the farthest underwater. We both went well over 50 meters (the underwater turn was a killer). I opted for dolphin kicking a ways and then switched to the underwater breastroke. I’m not sure which technique is better for distance as opposed to speed. Anyone out there ever make a full 100m underwater? Oh yeah, this can be dangerous because a lot of people pass out. So if you make an attempt, be sure someone is on deck watching you. Perhaps some of you dorks could even put on your competitions suits and monofins and see if it improves your performance. You guys kill me with all your equipment.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 15 years ago
    Enough with the excuses. Someone make a run at 100m. Sure, you could die, but you will be forever immortalized on this message board. What more do you need?
  • Former Member
    iv done 75 meters. I think the world record is somthing like 187 meters with a monofin.
  • Former Member
    Also, I'm not interested in people sucking on an oxygen mask and then making an attempt while wearing a trolling motor. This has to be a "natural" attempt. 75m is pretty good but 25m short of the goal. I'm curious to know if the distance people would be better at this. I would also agree that this doesn't prove much, but nohting in swimming or athletics really does for that matter. If you're the fastest in the world in the 100m breastroke, what does it matter in the grand scheme of things?
  • Former Member
    I once did 50 yards free without a breath. The turn was killer. I'll never forget it. My lungs were bursting at the end, but I never forgot that I accomplished it. But I never have had a desire to do it again.
  • Former Member
    Without fins, the world record is 186m for men and 149m for women. There may not be any real correlation between distance swimmers and distances achieved underwater. Generally, endurance athletes tend into two rough categories - athletes with lower VO2 max values, but higher efficiency (e.g. often the case with marathoners) and high VO2 max values but lower efficiency. I'm the latter and could probably get 30 - 35 meters only if my life depended on it. -LBJ
  • My brother ate a whopper in one bite....talk about blue...still mustered up enough brain cells to become an orthopedic surgeon...?maybe he could have been a neurosurgeon without that whopper...I guess we shall never know.:dunno:
  • Former Member
    Freedivers describe "How far can you swim underwater on one breath?" as "Dynamic Apnea without Fins" Dynamic Apnea = Maximum distance covered horizontally under water Current Freediving World Records www.impulseadventure.com/.../world-record.html I've done 50 yards and meters often but not lately. There's some videos on youtube of people swimming very far underwater. This stuff is dangerous don't go for any records.
  • Former Member
    I'm not sure why the turn is a killer. We do this probably 3-6 times a week at practice, with 1-2 of them with zoomers. I think the worst part is feeling like you can go farther, but not wanting to pass out in the water. I do 25 easy, and I've done 50s, but I've never tried anything farther than that. I don't think there's any point to it, and it's not worth getting hurt or dying.
  • Former Member
    I don't think I could ever go 100m underwater. As for goading people, let me go ahead and say that it is highly dangerous, as stated in my very first post. Just fascinated to know that someone has actually done this.
  • I swam 100 yards underwater in a 20 yard pool long ago. The last yard I started to convulse and smacked my head on the wall just before passing out. I do not recommend the practice.