How often do they change pool water completely?

Former Member
Former Member
Anyone knows how public swimming pools are maintained? Do they completely change the pool water at the end of day, or weekly? Anything they do to the pool overnight (just circulate like daytime, or do nothing, or change entire pool water)? Is the water cleaner in early morning than evening because of this? Thanks.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 16 years ago
    I moved to Colorado from Houston 10 years ago and was amazed that they drain pools in Colorado...ever. I was a swimmer and lifeguard in Houston for over a decade and I don't remember anyone ever draining a pool except for major maintenance. It certainly wasn't routine. I could be wrong, but I think you could theoretically maintain a pool without draining it forever if you had the right chemical balance, filtration, and debris removal. I believe good filtration systems filter the entire volume of a pool every couple of hours. Every pool needs "fresh" water to replace what evaporates or is splashed out. I would contend that most pools are about the cleanest place you'll subject yourself to in a given day (consider what's on a bathroom doorknob), if we're talking about germs. It always cracks me up when they close a gigantic pool for 24 hours because some kid puked or had an accident. With the chlorine and pH levels in most pools, I don't believe there is any real danger after a few minutes, especially when they scoop some more chlorine in the affected area. From a former lifeguard's perspective, we always loved it when that happened because we got out of work for the day.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 16 years ago
    I moved to Colorado from Houston 10 years ago and was amazed that they drain pools in Colorado...ever. I was a swimmer and lifeguard in Houston for over a decade and I don't remember anyone ever draining a pool except for major maintenance. It certainly wasn't routine. I could be wrong, but I think you could theoretically maintain a pool without draining it forever if you had the right chemical balance, filtration, and debris removal. I believe good filtration systems filter the entire volume of a pool every couple of hours. Every pool needs "fresh" water to replace what evaporates or is splashed out. I would contend that most pools are about the cleanest place you'll subject yourself to in a given day (consider what's on a bathroom doorknob), if we're talking about germs. It always cracks me up when they close a gigantic pool for 24 hours because some kid puked or had an accident. With the chlorine and pH levels in most pools, I don't believe there is any real danger after a few minutes, especially when they scoop some more chlorine in the affected area. From a former lifeguard's perspective, we always loved it when that happened because we got out of work for the day.
Children
No Data