Women's Locker Room

Here's a thread for the ladies to discuss anything that relates to women and swimming. For example, feel free to discuss how disgustingly ugly fastskins are, how the "curse" can kill a meet, how suits don't fit, how swimming wrecks your hair, how hormones unhinge you, etc.
  • ok puggy lovers..i have a 15 1/2 yr old pug (pugsley) . :oldman:he is demanding. always been a picky eater. I have two pugs. Lucy is a 5 year old fawn pug and Lily is my baby (1 year old black pug). They are NOT picky eaters but in fact eat everything in sight. To not stray from the topic, I have been 40 for exactly two weeks now and I can honestly say that every minute so far has been horrible. I spent it in Kawaii, Hawaii where I caught a cold (10 + hours on an airplane with 200 people will do that). Once I returned to Nashville, it progressed to bronchitis which needless to say has hindered my training. In the two days or so that I felt better I went for a 4 mile run and strained my achilles tendon. If this is what the 40's are like, then just shoot me now! At least, I can still sleep!
  • 15.5 yrs? Isn't that like 108.5 years old? I HOPE my little guy will be around that long!! Mine is really demanding too!! He sleeps with us and is allowed on all the couches. Anywhere really. He barks at us to remind him when to feed him. He barks when he wants a specific toy. We feed him the fancy dog food (Halo Pet's Spots Stew) and it's supposed to be range chicken or lamb and fit for human consumption. When my mother takes care of him when hubby and I are out of town he gets his own soft boiled egg and pieces of fillet mignon. He also gets his teeth professionally cleaned at the vet. I am officially a dog owner FREAK! unfortunately, mine is not doing well:sad: because of him I now work at home, and have not had a vacation in how long. he's been a great little guy. never has liked the water. I took him to the beach once and he was furious.:drown: n ot a floater, a real sinker..
  • At least, I can still sleep! Don't jinx yourself, lady! You got maybe 5 years tops on that issue.
  • I have two pugs. Lucy is a 5 year old fawn pug and Lily is my baby (1 year old black pug). They are NOT picky eaters but in fact eat everything in sight. To not stray from the topic, I have been 40 for exactly two weeks now and I can honestly say that every minute so far has been horrible. I spent it in Kawaii, Hawaii where I caught a cold (10 + hours on an airplane with 200 people will do that). Once I returned to Nashville, it progressed to bronchitis which needless to say has hindered my training. In the two days or so that I felt better I went for a 4 mile run and strained my achilles tendon. If this is what the 40's are like, then just shoot me now! At least, I can still sleep! Yikes! I hope you feel better! Where do you swim in Nashville? I was there a few weeks ago and swam with the team at the Tracy Caulkins pool a few times. I thought that everyone on the team and the two coaches (Brad & Jed) were super nice! The pool was incredible! FEEL BETTER!
  • Yikes! I hope you feel better! Where do you swim in Nashville? I was there a few weeks ago and swam with the team at the Tracy Caulkins pool a few times. I thought that everyone on the team and the two coaches (Brad & Jed) were super nice! The pool was incredible! FEEL BETTER! Thanks Julie. I actually work at the hospital next door to that pool. The pool is great and FAST but it can get cold. Brad Kale is an awesome coach. Unfortunately that team practices from 6:30 a.m.-7:30 a.m. which is WAY too late for me. I swim at 5 a.m. in Brentwood with the rival program and on my own. Because of my insane work schedule, I am drawing up the plans for a two lane, 25 yard pool in my back yard with an adjacent post-workout hot tub so if you come back to Nashville in a year or so you can come swim at my house!
  • No need to convince me not to have kids! Without getting too verbose, does this help? Focus Points on free flip turns w/ SDK and breakout 1. On last pull to wall: Drive downward w/ arm and hand and head; use head and abs to flip quickly (I NEVER knew to drive DOWN on last pull into the wall) 2. Flip STRAIGHT over (not at an angle as you lose velocity); I tend to flip sideways or at an angle 3. Streamline w/ arms AT and squeezing ears (not behind); I had arms way behind my ears as I thought this was better but it's not as it made for a sloppy streamline w/ an arched back 4. Take your time and push off ONLY - DO NOT start dolphin kick right away!!! Wait a brief moment! Then begin dolphin kicks. Who knew? I rushed this and always tried to dolphin as quickly as possible. 5. Take several dolphin kicks on your side, then rotate to stomach and continue dolphin kicks; Dolphin kick starts from mid-chest and goes downward to your toes. DO NOT try and move your head, neck and shoulders when dolphining. (I tried to do that.) 6. After dolphining on stomach, ascend and breakout with your flutter kick. TAKE YOUR TIME and breakout w/ flutter kick first, THEN start in with the arms; Think about ascending to the surface like a SUBMARINE. (I tried to flutter kick and move my arms at the same time. That is wrong). 7. Head looks directly down at pool bottom when on stomach. Do not attempt to move your head around and out of the streamline position or pull it up! Think neutral position. Get out to the 10 meter mark. Do a set of 8x50 @ 1:00 starting from the middle of the pool (to get in 2 flip turns per 50). Swim slow but execute perfect turns. I hope I explained this correctly. Take your time to work on each element. Don't rush it in order to have a :bolt: (speedy) turn. Sort of counterintuitive. . . Thank you! By some miracle, I think this is largely what I am doing. Except sometimes I do go a bit sideways on the free turns too. Trying to eradicate that completely.
  • Heather, I too hope you feel better. I need some good 40s stories!! If you are having bad experiences in your 40s, I hate to see what I'm going to encounter. :toohurt: 5 AM is impressive. I am hurting from 5:30 AM practices this week (I'm used to the very late hour of 5:45 AM.) No wonder you are thinking about building a pool - how awesome is that to be able to do it!! If you add in one more lane, you could just about hold a swim meet there!! We joke in my family that we could actually put in an olympic size pool in our backyard as we have plenty of space. I always decline as I could see myself growing old just picking leaves out of that thing every day! ICK! Send us pics when it's done! Pugs rule! Kristina. Enjoy 35! It was my fastest year as well. I hate to admit it but things do slow down (at least they did for me) and there was a big difference for me between 35 and 39. The athletic slow down won't bother me, though, as much as the hormonal stuff. At least I have a few years before that. The biggest draw back for the pool for me is the fact that basically I am then pretty much committed to this house, forever. As far as the leaves go, isn't that what your husband is for? ha...ha... Nashville has a Pug Festival sometime in May every year. You guys should bring Frappie. Hundreds of pugs gathered in one place for games and contests. It is a hoot...
  • on ***,free and fly the head has to look down on the pull out(break out)..easier said than done. i know i was lifting my head on the breasstroke pullout for air and just corrected it and now go farther. i watch alot of the goswim videos. a good 40's story. after a severe injury(was sidelined a year). I added 10lbs. I hired a trainer, etc all the right things... had to relearn to swim since I have to make adjustments for my weak left shoulder... anywho.... it was pilates and yoga that finally did it. I never believed in that. but finally shaped up. I also had to cut my yardage, i was used to 4500 yd workouts. The shoulder won't stand for it 5 days a week. I also do abwheel (it is a b###h at first). I do alot of fly kicks on my back too. Core work is the ticket. I think I am more fit than when i was in my 30s. yeah, i get tired faster and don't recover as before, but I think it is the injury and not age for me.
  • PLEASE don't tell me that my 2 hour workout yesterday is like a 6 hour bike ride! I think so NOT! And many cyclists/triathletes would not last through 10 minutes of your swimming workouts. People adapt to their training. I don't cycle as much anymore (I'll try to start up again a little in the summer) but even in my cycling heyday, 5-6 hour rides were few and far between for me but 3-4 hour rides were not. I didn't consider them inherently more difficult than swim practices; you just have to make more allowances for hydration and fueling. The intensity is more important than the volume: I've had 1-hour rides and workouts that were absolutely exhausting.
  • time drain + teenagers are mostly unpleasant and so self-centered it's ridiculous! that made me laugh yesterday my daughter fought with my wife then later she texted her to bring her a Starbucks drink to school, which she didn't Can you share those tips please for those of us that are mostly uncoached? Oh, saw this about neti pots today: www.washingtonpost.com/.../AR2008040403232.html (S)he, kids are a huge time drain. I'm looking at my calendar this week and freaking out with all the appointments, sports etc. I have a local zones meet at my home pool. Should me easy, no? Not. 3 day kids prelim/final swim meet, 2 track meets, one in another state, soccer game, birthday party ... Got an email from our coach advising us to "stay off our feet." Mr. Fort is gone until late Friday night. And my swim practice car pool is caput for this week. Plus, teenagers are mostly unpleasant and so self-centered it's ridiculous! The girls are drama queens and the boys can be surly know-it-alls. lol.