Women's Locker Room

Here's a thread for the ladies to discuss anything that relates to women and swimming. For example, feel free to discuss how disgustingly ugly fastskins are, how the "curse" can kill a meet, how suits don't fit, how swimming wrecks your hair, how hormones unhinge you, etc.
  • we have 2 pugs sniggy and tater Yeah. My friends told me some really freaky things that happened to their bodies during/ after childbirth. What's this about having skin tags form all over your body? They did not sell me on having children. I have a husband, two elderly parents, an immature brother, and a demanding pug. Frankly, I feel like a mother of 5! I have not heard about Quercetin or stinging nettle at all. I just used the neti pot solo and it worked immediately no matter how bad an attack I was having. Really is miraculous. Who wants to swim on antihistamines?
  • the term is dude you just got chicked Guys totally hate getting beat by chicks.
  • I feel that the triathletes I know are VERY honest about their absolute insane training schedule. They train for hours a day and all do doubles if not triples (morning, lunch, evening workouts). Most of them are Ironmen and at the top of their age group. Literally, one day may be that they run 8 miles to swim practice; they swim the practice; they run the 8 miles home and then they'll do a long run or bike in the evening. It's truly insane. Less is more does not apply to tri people. They wear their crazy workouts like badges of honor. Saturday could be a 5 or 6 hour bike ride. So true. For triathletes, a "rest day" is a swim-only day. Oh, and for them a 5-6 hour bike ride is not all that big a deal either (at least, no more than the kinds of workouts YOU do in the water). But in my experience triathletes (cyclists too) are the world's worst sandbaggers. When I first started going on bike rides with them, I just couldn't BELIEVE all the moaning and groaning that went on before the ride. How awful they've been feeling, how long since the last good ride, how slow they were going to go, on and on. I would think to myself, "what a bunch of old ladies." Then after 10 minutes the ride would turn into a total hammerfest. (And they love to try to humiliate swimmers, too, for making them look like such tools in the water.)
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 16 years ago
    They suck, especially the sleep issues. :shakeshead: But since you're skipping the baby route, that will help. Having babies does the weirdest things to your body. Freaks your hormones out. My allergies were barely noticeable until after baby #3. Now, breathing is a challenge at times. BTW, have you tried Quercetin or stinging nettle for allergies or just the neti pot? Yeah. My friends told me some really freaky things that happened to their bodies during/ after childbirth. What's this about having skin tags form all over your body? They did not sell me on having children. I have a husband, two elderly parents, an immature brother, and a demanding pug. Frankly, I feel like a mother of 5! I have not heard about Quercetin or stinging nettle at all. I just used the neti pot solo and it worked immediately no matter how bad an attack I was having. Really is miraculous. Who wants to swim on antihistamines?
  • Former Member
    On another topic, who lies more about the amount they are working out, men or women? I have this sense that there is an underestimation of how much working out is going on from another thread ... But then I'm the skeptical type. I just saw this second thought. Well, my first thought is that I see a difference between (not gender) but types of athletes disclosing how much they train. I feel that the triathletes I know are VERY honest about their absolute insane training schedule. They train for hours a day and all do doubles if not triples (morning, lunch, evening workouts). Most of them are Ironmen and at the top of their age group. Literally, one day may be that they run 8 miles to swim practice; they swim the practice; they run the 8 miles home and then they'll do a long run or bike in the evening. It's truly insane. Less is more does not apply to tri people. They wear their crazy workouts like badges of honor. Saturday could be a 5 or 6 hour bike ride. Of the few masters that I know that actually do doubles, they don't go out of their way to make it known they are doing doubles. I actually ran into one of them doing doubles and they looked sheepishly at me. If I kick someone's butt (meaning a guy's) in the pool, I usually get an unprovoked exclamation of: 1. I ran a marathon right before practice 2. I have bronchitis and just got over a case of strep throat 3. I haven't been in the water since 1974 4. I'm 50 years old and you are much younger than me
  • Former Member
    Chris: It must be Paul Smith. I've read the evil one sometimes does --- horrors -- "garbage yards." I can put that rumor to rest, having trained next to him LC for several weeks before worlds. He does NOT do garbage yards. I hate to say that, since I love jabbing at him. If anything he is the wall tag king. I remember one practice when he, Smith Junior and Laura were all sharing a lane. Most of the time was spent talking about what should be done rather than actually doing it. I think Laura rolled her eyes several times and just went on swimming.
  • They train for hours a day and all do doubles if not triples (morning, lunch, evening workouts). Most of them are Ironmen and at the top of their age group. Literally, one day may be that they run 8 miles to swim practice; they swim the practice; they run the 8 miles home and then they'll do a long run or bike in the evening. It's truly insane. Less is more does not apply to tri people. They wear their crazy workouts like badges of honor. Saturday could be a 5 or 6 hour bike ride. HA HA! This was ME about 4 years ago. I did a few Ironman races between 2001-2004 and the training was insane. Easily 20+ hours a week during the height of the season. I would say I probably averaged over 15 hours a week between the swim/bike/run/weights throughout the entire season. And really only swam about 9000 yards per week during those years. Being this far away from those years, I just don't know how I ever did it and don't have any desire to do it again. I love swimming and am exhausted from the swim training that I do now. Having said that, I am JUST as excited about Nationals as I was going into those IM races. Instead of 12 hours of racing during one day, you get 4 days and 6 events and each is it's own unique opportunity. If I completely suck at the 1650, then Friday will be a new day with new races!
  • Former Member
    the term is dude you just got chicked Dude I get chicked in workout on a regular basis by my lane partner....It hurts, but it does help a little to know she has olympic hardware!
  • I'm glad i'm a guy. Thanx for stepping up to the plate for us ladies.
  • If ya do, ya do. That just means you're a better swimmer. But then we arm wrestle. :-) Paul Tsk tsk. Arm wrestling is bad for shoulders. Sit up contest? Jayhawk: I know you're on drugs! Or a yaz addict. Or something.