Contoured paddles vs. Flat paddles

Former Member
Former Member
Howdy folks, Currently I am using speedo's contoured swim paddles and they work great, but it is time for me to move up to the next size. Is there a difference between these paddles and other "flat" paddles (meaning will one or the other be more effective for training)? Or does it just come down to personal preference? Thanks
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 18 years ago
    Dear Scotch Drinker: But I DO practice at race pace without paddles! I never use paddles on timed sets, which we have at least once a week, because that's when they defeat the purpose. You're right - we don't use them in a real race, so why use them (like that) in practice - I'm totally on the same page with you on that one. However, I also believe that there is a time and place for me to use paddles, and I've benefited tremendously from them. I swim with folks who use fins all the time and I know that that can't be helpful, but what are ya gonna say? Take your freakin' fins off? As long as they don't ride my butt, I'm OK with it. Anyway...
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 18 years ago
    Dear Scotch Drinker: But I DO practice at race pace without paddles! I never use paddles on timed sets, which we have at least once a week, because that's when they defeat the purpose. You're right - we don't use them in a real race, so why use them (like that) in practice - I'm totally on the same page with you on that one. However, I also believe that there is a time and place for me to use paddles, and I've benefited tremendously from them. I swim with folks who use fins all the time and I know that that can't be helpful, but what are ya gonna say? Take your freakin' fins off? As long as they don't ride my butt, I'm OK with it. Anyway...
Children
No Data