Contoured paddles vs. Flat paddles

Former Member
Former Member
Howdy folks, Currently I am using speedo's contoured swim paddles and they work great, but it is time for me to move up to the next size. Is there a difference between these paddles and other "flat" paddles (meaning will one or the other be more effective for training)? Or does it just come down to personal preference? Thanks
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 18 years ago
    Originally posted by aztimm I swam with another masters group last week, and was surprised at all the 'toys' people had on deck (tough to get in/out of the pool it was so bad). The coach actually had sets where parts were pulling (with paddles), kicking (with fins), and some with both. Since I was just visiting and was lucky to have a suit and goggles (and my hotel towel), I just swam the whole thing, and did some kicking with just arms out front. Like I said earlier, at my home pool I have my stuff in a mesh bag on deck, in case I need/want to use it. Even for long kick sets I rarely wear fins; used to all the time and was just not improving my kick. A good coach we recently got on my team has helped me improve my kick tremendously (no fins). That is pretty funny...the part about being difficult to get in and out of the pool due to the surplus of crap on deck! Those people probably thought you were some old school swimmer missing out on all of the latest aquatic trickery. If they only knew..... I have always avoided fins and pull buoys because I was afraid to become reliant upon them. As I stated above I do use a kickboard when the mood strikes me but I don't make a habit of it.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 18 years ago
    Originally posted by aztimm I swam with another masters group last week, and was surprised at all the 'toys' people had on deck (tough to get in/out of the pool it was so bad). The coach actually had sets where parts were pulling (with paddles), kicking (with fins), and some with both. Since I was just visiting and was lucky to have a suit and goggles (and my hotel towel), I just swam the whole thing, and did some kicking with just arms out front. Like I said earlier, at my home pool I have my stuff in a mesh bag on deck, in case I need/want to use it. Even for long kick sets I rarely wear fins; used to all the time and was just not improving my kick. A good coach we recently got on my team has helped me improve my kick tremendously (no fins). That is pretty funny...the part about being difficult to get in and out of the pool due to the surplus of crap on deck! Those people probably thought you were some old school swimmer missing out on all of the latest aquatic trickery. If they only knew..... I have always avoided fins and pull buoys because I was afraid to become reliant upon them. As I stated above I do use a kickboard when the mood strikes me but I don't make a habit of it.
Children
No Data