Contoured paddles vs. Flat paddles

Former Member
Former Member
Howdy folks, Currently I am using speedo's contoured swim paddles and they work great, but it is time for me to move up to the next size. Is there a difference between these paddles and other "flat" paddles (meaning will one or the other be more effective for training)? Or does it just come down to personal preference? Thanks
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 18 years ago
    Wrong! I began using paddles after I had shoulder surgery this summer and they've helped me inprove my freestyle stroke tremendously. Because I don't wear the hand (wrist) strap, I am forced to focus on a smooth hand entry and pull, which takes the pressure off my shoulder and engages the proper swimming muscles. Sometimes I'll swim part of a set with paddles, and part of the set without them; I always notice that after I use the paddles, I become much more conscious of how my hand enters the water, etc.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 18 years ago
    Wrong! I began using paddles after I had shoulder surgery this summer and they've helped me inprove my freestyle stroke tremendously. Because I don't wear the hand (wrist) strap, I am forced to focus on a smooth hand entry and pull, which takes the pressure off my shoulder and engages the proper swimming muscles. Sometimes I'll swim part of a set with paddles, and part of the set without them; I always notice that after I use the paddles, I become much more conscious of how my hand enters the water, etc.
Children
No Data