Where can I buy a Wicking Swim Towel?

Former Member
Former Member
I got a wicking swim towel for Christmas, and I want to know if anyone knows where I can get more. It's called the Wick-er Warmup Towel, it's made by Discovery Trekking Outfitters. It's quite large, very thin, dries faster than anything I've used before. Also gives some sun protection according to the label. I haven't seen them in stores. It was purchased in Canada at a swim meet I think, or maybe online. Anyone heard of these? I think it might be very new on the market. Dont confuse it with a chamois towel, it's nothing like that. Much better in my opinion.
  • I did get the largest size. My parents actually ordered it. I probably would have gotten something if I had ordered it myself but I like it. It is huge but it folds up so small and compact in my bag. Alison
  • I got one for this past Christmas too and love it. My sister saw it and wants one as well. That means I don't have to come up with an idea for her birthday. Yeah! Alison
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 17 years ago
    I got one for this past Christmas too and love it. My sister saw it and wants one as well. That means I don't have to come up with an idea for her birthday. Yeah! Alison Alison, did you get the large size? how is it? I keep hearing it's "huge". Is it pool friendly? I can't wait to try mine out.
  • Former Member
    Just saw a press release on swimmingworldmagazine.com about how popular these new towels are. I sure like mine. Thanks Discovery Trekking for an amazing product.
  • Former Member
    Alison, did you get the large size? how is it? I keep hearing it's "huge". Is it pool friendly? I can't wait to try mine out. For swimming I'd definitely recommend the largest size. I just measured mine; it's 32" x 62". But it literally folds up into the size of a folded t-shirt. For you new users, be prepared for it to feel very weird the first time you use it. The fabric feels somewhat like swimsuit fabric. It's very deceiving - at first it doesn't feel like it's absorbing anything at all. But all of a sudden you realize that it's working, and that it really soaks up a lot of water. -Anna Lea
  • Former Member
    Why aren't these towels in more stores? They are great. I just ordered 50 more for our team. We got some last year to try them out, and even the family members of the team wanted them. We had ours embroidered with the team logo...really looked nice. I just wish some of the swim shops were carrying them around here. But, the folks at Discovery Trekking were awesome, and we got a team discount. They don't offer discounts off of the website, I had to call them to get it, which is a drag, but worth it...
  • Former Member
    I just found a source in the United States (they're still made by Discovery Trekking): http://www.eclecticsilver.net/ Wicker Warm-Up Towel Now Available at Eclectic Silver Eclectic Silver has recently added the Wick-er Warm-up Towel to its inventory and is very pleased to announce that it is the ONLY distributor currently in the United States. These towels are unlike any towel you have ever used; they are virtually transparent yet dry you off and then dry out very quickly. Being made with silver ion, they will also immensely inhibit the growth of bacteria and fungi and can be used as a travel blanket, a shawl, swim suit wrap, or even in hotel rooms on your bed for added protection from bacteria and other unpleasantries. The towel comes in several sizes ranging from 36″ x 60″ down to the athletic towel that velcro attaches to a belt/loop. Recently the Chicago Tribune posted a review of this wonderful towel. Please read what they had to say about it: March 11, 2007 Chicago Tribune “Travel accessories Wick-er Warmup Wicking Travel Towel (Discovery Trekking Outfitters; $25) For want of a better description, they’re calling this the Travel Towel, but it seems there’s nothing this towel can’t do. It’s lightweight, soft, smooth, thermal, stretchy, quick-wicking, permanently anti-microbial, and it comes with an SPF sunblock rating between 15 and 40, depending on the color. It is made of the same stuff as the most advanced athletic wear (and, as a bonus, scientifically designed to permanently repel odor-causing bacteria). I used this wondrous, 36-by-60-inch piece of hemmed cloth to dry myself off after a shower the other evening– a job that usually takes one normal towel for my body and another for my hair. The Wicking Travel Towel dried my skin pat-down style–I didn’t have to rub–without leaving any damp spots. It removed so much water from my hair, which is long enough to reach the middle of my back, that my hair was completely air dry in less than half an hour. By morning, the towel was completely dry as well. Because of its wicking properties, the patent-pending cloth dries three times faster than cotton, so say Diane Stobart and Leslie Hanes, the two Canadian women who invented it. And because they are using silver ion technology–the silver is embedded in the cloth–the towel’s anti-microbial properties will never wash out. The feel of the fabric is nice enough to wear as a scarf or a beach cover. And I’ve even tried it on a recent airplane trip to block airborne germs–more attractive and practical than a surgical mask–and as a barrier to whatever diseases might have been lurking in the hotel-room pillows. It’s available in smaller sizes and in the following colors: navy, black, red dark green, purple, royal blue and gold. (www.discoverytrekking.com )” --Anna Lea
  • do you have a link or some kind of image for the hoodies. I don't see it on the website.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 15 years ago
    I contacted Discovery Trekking to get my new supply of the fast dry swim towels last fall. I ordered a couple, and told them to call me if they ever get them in Orange. I can't believe it...they actually called me today and told me they had Orange. I think that makes about 16 colors they offer now. The orange towel isn't the amazing thing, it's that a company actually remembered that I asked them to call me. This is amazing customer service. Also, last fall when I ordered a towel I talked to the owner of the company...She actually suggested that our team get "hoodies" made from the towel fabric. We did, and they are really cool. They don't have this on their website, but this is a small company that goes the extra mile and are able to do a lot of custom requests, and I really hope they do well. We were able to get 30 hoodies made from the towel fabric, in our team color. They are really nice to throw on over our suits. I think they will really come in handy in the summer outdoor swim meets.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 15 years ago
    I don't think they show on the website...the idea just came up in a conversation with the lady I spoke to. This company actually has a brick-and-mortar store that specializes in custom outerwear. She just mentioned in passing that they made all types of custom jackets and outerwear, and could do our team really simple hoodies from the towel fabric, because they are able to sew them in their shop. Initially, I just got one made to see what it was like because I thought it would be good even if the rest of the group wasn't interested. I showed it to the exec. of our club, and we decided to get one for everybody. They are very simple...just a roomy pullover with a simple hood. The sleeves are hemmed, and so is the bottom. It has no pockets, but we could have asked for them I think. I think they were around $55. each which wasn't bad, because this is the wicking fabric with the Silver, just like the towels. I can't guarantee that they will do this again, you could just email them and ask. I don't see why not. I was very impressed with the offer to do something out of the ordinary, and they were super nice to deal with. I know the towels embroider well so I don't see why team logo couldn't be put on the hoodies, but we didn't bother.