Swimming & Weight Loss

Former Member
Former Member
It seems that there are completely different opinions among the so-called experts when it comes to swimming for weight loss. Does anyone know of someone who swims regularly and has not lost weight? I don't mean a leisurely couple of laps, but a regular workout. Are there any obese swimmers who work out regularly and are competitive? I'm thinking that the fitness experts don't like swimming because they are either: a. Not good swimmers b. Can't swim enough distance to get a good work out in; or c. Had a bad experience with swimming. Any input on this topic is appreciated (beyond the diet and exercise speech).
Parents
  • After college I backed off from swimming a bit. I only got to the pool two to three times a week. Then, a few years ago our local masters team put in an a.m. workout that I could fit into my schedule. I decided to get back into the pool more regularly because it's a lot more motivating to have a group with whom to swim. I now do the group workouts three days a week and Mo Chamber's and Mel's workouts two to three days a week. I have never been significantly overweight, and losing weight was not my goal, but I lost 12 pounds in my first five months just by upping my frequency to 5 times a week, 3500-4500 yards per practice. Three years later, with the same practice schedule, I'm still the same weight (130). As far a diet is concerned, I eat a LOT of whatever I want. Luckily I don't like soda and gave up french fries on dare at age 12 and haven't had one since, but you'll be hard-pressed to find anyone who eats as much chocolate as I do! As far as workout times go, at some point I remember reading that morning workouts are good for weight loss -- something about getting your metabolism going.
  • After college I backed off from swimming a bit. I only got to the pool two to three times a week. Then, a few years ago our local masters team put in an a.m. workout that I could fit into my schedule. I decided to get back into the pool more regularly because it's a lot more motivating to have a group with whom to swim. I now do the group workouts three days a week and Mo Chamber's and Mel's workouts two to three days a week. I have never been significantly overweight, and losing weight was not my goal, but I lost 12 pounds in my first five months just by upping my frequency to 5 times a week, 3500-4500 yards per practice. Three years later, with the same practice schedule, I'm still the same weight (130). As far a diet is concerned, I eat a LOT of whatever I want. Luckily I don't like soda and gave up french fries on dare at age 12 and haven't had one since, but you'll be hard-pressed to find anyone who eats as much chocolate as I do! As far as workout times go, at some point I remember reading that morning workouts are good for weight loss -- something about getting your metabolism going.
Children
No Data