Swimming & Weight Loss

Former Member
Former Member
It seems that there are completely different opinions among the so-called experts when it comes to swimming for weight loss. Does anyone know of someone who swims regularly and has not lost weight? I don't mean a leisurely couple of laps, but a regular workout. Are there any obese swimmers who work out regularly and are competitive? I'm thinking that the fitness experts don't like swimming because they are either: a. Not good swimmers b. Can't swim enough distance to get a good work out in; or c. Had a bad experience with swimming. Any input on this topic is appreciated (beyond the diet and exercise speech).
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 18 years ago
    I've always been a healthy eater - I just have a big appetite, so definitely portion control is important. I've cut back on the glasses of wine during the week (that alone should be huge). I did have my metabolism/thryroid checked as I was not losing any weight by diet along (1500 cals/day). The MD told me that the ONLY way to safely increase your metabolism is by regular exercise. Dorthyrde and Fishgrrl: What sort of diet did you follow? Does anyone have an opinion on weather it is better to exercise in the a.m. or p.m.? Patrick: I'm not on a team - the local masters team works out too late in the evening for me. I've been using Mo Chambers' workouts - they are great! Mo has been extremely kind in helping me interpret the new fandangled lingo/stroke drills and set a strategy for maintaining a **lower** heart rate as I tend to work out way too hard - 90-95% of Max heart rate - unless I slow down and take it easier.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 18 years ago
    I've always been a healthy eater - I just have a big appetite, so definitely portion control is important. I've cut back on the glasses of wine during the week (that alone should be huge). I did have my metabolism/thryroid checked as I was not losing any weight by diet along (1500 cals/day). The MD told me that the ONLY way to safely increase your metabolism is by regular exercise. Dorthyrde and Fishgrrl: What sort of diet did you follow? Does anyone have an opinion on weather it is better to exercise in the a.m. or p.m.? Patrick: I'm not on a team - the local masters team works out too late in the evening for me. I've been using Mo Chambers' workouts - they are great! Mo has been extremely kind in helping me interpret the new fandangled lingo/stroke drills and set a strategy for maintaining a **lower** heart rate as I tend to work out way too hard - 90-95% of Max heart rate - unless I slow down and take it easier.
Children
No Data