Swimming & Weight Loss

Former Member
Former Member
It seems that there are completely different opinions among the so-called experts when it comes to swimming for weight loss. Does anyone know of someone who swims regularly and has not lost weight? I don't mean a leisurely couple of laps, but a regular workout. Are there any obese swimmers who work out regularly and are competitive? I'm thinking that the fitness experts don't like swimming because they are either: a. Not good swimmers b. Can't swim enough distance to get a good work out in; or c. Had a bad experience with swimming. Any input on this topic is appreciated (beyond the diet and exercise speech).
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 18 years ago
    Woman "weighing" in here.... I lost 30 pounds just swimming. My workouts consisted of 2500-4000 yards - 60-90 minutes, 4-6 times per week. I wasn't losing weight for a long time doing the above workouts; I lost weight by changing my eating and drinking habits. No cheese, no booze, stopping when I was full (i.e., learning how to push the plate away), and portion control. So....I lost 30 pounds in 5 months! I was able to eventually add wine, beer, cheese, other favorite foods, etc. back into my diet, but I still practice portion control.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 18 years ago
    Woman "weighing" in here.... I lost 30 pounds just swimming. My workouts consisted of 2500-4000 yards - 60-90 minutes, 4-6 times per week. I wasn't losing weight for a long time doing the above workouts; I lost weight by changing my eating and drinking habits. No cheese, no booze, stopping when I was full (i.e., learning how to push the plate away), and portion control. So....I lost 30 pounds in 5 months! I was able to eventually add wine, beer, cheese, other favorite foods, etc. back into my diet, but I still practice portion control.
Children
No Data