Falling asleep while swimming

Former Member
Former Member
Last night during workout we were doing a long hard set and I was tired and trying to hang on when I found my eyelids drooping :o This happened a couple times and then I had the distinct sensation of suddenly waking up :eek:, looking at the lines on the bottom of the pool and realizing that I was swimming. Has this happened to others? Luckily it's time to start my taper...
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 19 years ago
    Bonked? Wazzat?
  • There is a huge difference between being asleep, and being in a zen-like trance. My best 500 swim (from high school, even split the whole race), I didn't remember the middle 200. I was definitely awake, but "in the zone".
  • Former Member
    Originally posted by 401kman (10 X 500 @ 8:00, hold 7:30 or 5 X 1,000 @ 16:00, hold 15:00) - EW! Remind not to swim with you! ;)
  • Former Member
    I raced the Cross Lake Ontario swim 32 miles, half a mile to go, everyone was pulled out of the water. Very cold water temp in the 40s. I don't even remember being pulled out. In my dream while I was out, I won the race and they were handing me the check for $25,000 dollars. I woke up in the hospital with the doctor taking my pulse. He said thats better, 15, I figured 15 beats for 15 seconds, 15 x 4 is 60 beats. He said no 15. I was talking to my wife after that and counting my winnings when she told me that they were splitting up the prize money and my share was $3,500. and an Accutron Watch. So don't win races in your dreams. George
  • Former Member
    Originally posted by SwiminONandON EW! Remind not to swim with you! ;) I think I can achieve 401kman practice, but what about thisgirl13 posted practice: "(1x400 on 6:00, then 8x200's on 2:30)"
  • Former Member
    Yes, I fell asleep during a swimming test (old Red Cross badge program) when I was about 8 years old. We had to swim a bunch of lengths, and on the backstroke section I fell asleep and really only woke up because I hit the wall on the other width side of the pool. I remember it was very relaxing, but I failed the test...
  • Yes. Twice in high school (2001) I fell asleep in practice. Both times, I woke up very startled after the flip turn and the people behind me said I had kept my pace (I was the pacer for my lane) the whole time! I'm a distance swimmer, so no, this wasn't my familiar "in the groove" feeling. Years later, I'm having problems with chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, and sleep paralysis. My doctor thinks I may have narcolepsy.
  • Genny, this thread is (or was...) 13(!!!) year old! :dedhorse: