How far do you swim each week? - 2022 update

Since this topic was last addressed 13 years ago and with the discovery of new nutrition breakthroughs, techniques, HIIT, core strengthening etc.  I'll ask.  How far do you swim each week?  Do you do the same thing?  I swim alone with a pair of Form goggles that I started using to recover from a stage 4 case of throat cancer (HPV P16 variant).  I had 6 rounds of chemo, 3 rounds of Cisplatin and 3 rounds of Carbosplatin (sp?).  The chemo roasted my primary right arm main vein so I'm hoping swimming and vascularity will improve my vein structure etc.

I was wondering what you guys do.  I'm knocking out 3-4000m, 3 times a week with my goggles, which I love.  I watch our masters team go no more than 3000m each practice and the schedule is all over the place which is why I chose the Form goggles.  I watch countless people jump in around me only to do the exact same workout, week after week, month after month and I hear them bemoan slow times and why no change or drop in their times.  I was wondering what fellow mid aged swimmers were doing weekly.  

Thanks.

Parents
  • Hi there, swimtolive.  I swim to live AND live to swim!  When I'm not traveling, I swim six days per week, because I love it!  I'm 60 years old, and I have some physical issues that have forced me to dial back my yardage and intensity; so, in order to to stay in the pool six days per week, I limit my daily yardage to 2,500 yards.  If I have put in a hard workout and do a hard post-swim deck workout, I will limit my yardage to 2,000 yards the following day and do mostly drills and stroke technique work.  I will also limit my deck workout to yoga.

I love swimming all four strokes, so a typical work is a mixed bag of training them all.  I mix in "speed" work (such as it is), aerobic endurance,-- a bit of everything. 

I used to show up to the pool with a set workout for the day, but now my workouts are 100% based on how well I slept the night before, how I am feeling, and what may be my medical situation at the moment.  After my warm-up, I evaluate, and then go from there.  An example:  I have dysautonomia (autonomic neuropathy) that is triggered heat intolerance.  Even though I like warm weather, my body HATES it, and I have to be very careful during the summer.  Now that our weather has cooled down, I am sleeping better, and my body is responding favorably.  As a result, I am able to put in some harder workouts without repercussions.  I love October! 

My recommendation to EVERYBODY, regardless of your age:  LISTEN TO YOUR BODY!  If you feel good, ramp it up.  If you don't, back off.  Swim all four strokes to avoid repetitive stress injuries, and get feedback on your strokes to make sure you are using good (safe!) technique to avoid injuries.

Swimtolive, I'm sorry about your cancer, but congratulations on getting through your treatments!  I hope you will have a healthy, long future ahead of you.  

Best wishes!

Elaine

• Hi there, swimtolive.  I swim to live AND live to swim!  When I'm not traveling, I swim six days per week, because I love it!  I'm 60 years old, and I have some physical issues that have forced me to dial back my yardage and intensity; so, in order to to stay in the pool six days per week, I limit my daily yardage to 2,500 yards.  If I have put in a hard workout and do a hard post-swim deck workout, I will limit my yardage to 2,000 yards the following day and do mostly drills and stroke technique work.  I will also limit my deck workout to yoga.

I love swimming all four strokes, so a typical work is a mixed bag of training them all.  I mix in "speed" work (such as it is), aerobic endurance,-- a bit of everything. 

I used to show up to the pool with a set workout for the day, but now my workouts are 100% based on how well I slept the night before, how I am feeling, and what may be my medical situation at the moment.  After my warm-up, I evaluate, and then go from there.  An example:  I have dysautonomia (autonomic neuropathy) that is triggered heat intolerance.  Even though I like warm weather, my body HATES it, and I have to be very careful during the summer.  Now that our weather has cooled down, I am sleeping better, and my body is responding favorably.  As a result, I am able to put in some harder workouts without repercussions.  I love October! 

My recommendation to EVERYBODY, regardless of your age:  LISTEN TO YOUR BODY!  If you feel good, ramp it up.  If you don't, back off.  Swim all four strokes to avoid repetitive stress injuries, and get feedback on your strokes to make sure you are using good (safe!) technique to avoid injuries.

Swimtolive, I'm sorry about your cancer, but congratulations on getting through your treatments!  I hope you will have a healthy, long future ahead of you.  

Best wishes!

Elaine

Children
No Data