What is the hardest swim set you have ever done?

"Hardest" is open to your interpretation. Can be anything from 100 x 100s to 8 x 50's all out on 1:30 test set.

Parents
  • One day for the Saturday 3-hour workout where we normally did 10,000 SCY my coach said to me "I have an easy day for you today, only 5000 yards......butterfly" but to be honest it wasn't non-stop, not even close to the 2000 yards that Elaine was given!

The hardest true set was 10x100 SCY FR on 1:00.  I wasn't able to complete it and could only do 4 before having to rest a few seconds before starting the next one.  

• One day for the Saturday 3-hour workout where we normally did 10,000 SCY my coach said to me "I have an easy day for you today, only 5000 yards......butterfly" but to be honest it wasn't non-stop, not even close to the 2000 yards that Elaine was given!

The hardest true set was 10x100 SCY FR on 1:00.  I wasn't able to complete it and could only do 4 before having to rest a few seconds before starting the next one.  

Children
  • Actually, my 2,000 non-stop butterfly was self-imposed, since I train on my own.  I hadn't set out to swim 2,000 yards, but once I got going, I wanted to see how far I could go before either:

A.) My shoulders got sore

or

B.) My husband (who was shooting video of it) protested!

I had previously set out to do a 500 fly to qualify for Butternuts; however, I kept going to 900 yards.  At that point, the camera's battery had died, and the video stopped.  My husband stopped me to let me know, and he was concerned about my shoulders, even though I felt great!

My shoulders ended up just fine, because I swim with a low arm recovery and do a lot of shoulder PT exercises to keep them strong.  Since I didn't suffer any repercussions, I decided to see just how far I could go.  This time, my husband set up the tripod, so he wouldn't have to hand-hold the camera-- a good thing, since my swim took 44 minutes!  

Although the camera stopped in the middle to write the file to the card, my husband started it up again and shot the second half as well. He stopped me, though, because the card was full and the battery was almost dead.  I know I could have swum more, and my shoulders weren't even sore the next day.

If you want something to put you to sleep, watch this:

Elaine's 2000 Yard Butterfly- Part 1

Elaine's 2000 Yard Butterfly- Part 2