Return Meet: to go or not to go

Just looking for some general guidance/input or how other folks are handling returning to competition...

I started back to swimming at 54. I did a personal masters best (35.11 SCY) in 50 breast and 25 breast (15.47) at a few weeks shy of 61. Now I just turned 63, haven't done a meet since then because of the pandemic. I laid off swimming for four months from March-July 2020, and since starting back up, I can only work out for 30 mins., which means about 1500 yards, tops, about 2-3 times a week.

I want to get back to competition (there is a local meet upcoming), but am afraid I will be discouraged if I am too far afield from my last swim...throw in aging (two years from 61-63 is a big leap when compared to 28-30) and I am afraid I am not going to get near those times. 

Should I go for it to set a baseline, or wait until I can get back to a fuller schedule of workouts? Any thoughts?

Parents
  • A swim meet with low expectations can be fun.Don't expect to be fast, just enjoy the ambience of a meet. This will give you times to beat as you can workout more. It may also give you information about what you need to work on.

• Alas, shortly after writing this, I had a lower back flareup...spasms. The next day, I went to workout anyway, and strained my hip flexor, making it extremely painful to do breaststroke, my main event. I did swim again today, and tested the breaststroke, and it still hurt, so I stuck to freestyle, and to a moderate pace. I will be sitting this one out after all in the interests of rest and recovery.

• Alas, shortly after writing this, I had a lower back flareup...spasms. The next day, I went to workout anyway, and strained my hip flexor, making it extremely painful to do breaststroke, my main event. I did swim again today, and tested the breaststroke, and it still hurt, so I stuck to freestyle, and to a moderate pace. I will be sitting this one out after all in the interests of rest and recovery.

Children