WHat to expect after 15 yrs?

Former Member
Former Member
It has been 15 yrs since I last competed seriously and I am getting ready to start again this fall. I am approximately 80lbs heavier, about half muscle and half fat. I am curious to hear from others who had similar layoff's and what they experienced in their come backs. I plan on using my first season just getting myself back in shape. I would like to lose approximately 30 lbs and hope to attend my first meet around Feb or March 05. I am anxious and nervous at the same time. Look forward to the input. Thanks, Greg
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 20 years ago
    Some encouraging words on here, I appreciate the input. I get started this Sept and plan on going year round. I have no idea what to expect as far as times go. I am considerably stronger than when I last competed but my cardio is poor. After I got out of high school I joined the Navy and continued to compete in the Navy for several years but my workouts were strictly with weights. I was determined to lose the "tall skinny" moniker and desperately wanted to gain mass. When I joined I was 6'4" and 170lbs with a metabolizm that wouldn;t quite. I started hitting weights hard and soon gained the muscle I wanted. Now I am still 6'4" tall but weigh 270lbs. So I am curious to see how I do in sprints once I get my cardio back on track with my increased strength. I would like to get down to 240lbs as I figure that I am carrying about 30lbs of fat. I look forward to meeting new friends at swim meets, they are what I miss the most! I used to compete in Battle Creek back in the late 80's, had some great meets down there for sure! Thanks for the input everyone. much appreciated.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 20 years ago
    Some encouraging words on here, I appreciate the input. I get started this Sept and plan on going year round. I have no idea what to expect as far as times go. I am considerably stronger than when I last competed but my cardio is poor. After I got out of high school I joined the Navy and continued to compete in the Navy for several years but my workouts were strictly with weights. I was determined to lose the "tall skinny" moniker and desperately wanted to gain mass. When I joined I was 6'4" and 170lbs with a metabolizm that wouldn;t quite. I started hitting weights hard and soon gained the muscle I wanted. Now I am still 6'4" tall but weigh 270lbs. So I am curious to see how I do in sprints once I get my cardio back on track with my increased strength. I would like to get down to 240lbs as I figure that I am carrying about 30lbs of fat. I look forward to meeting new friends at swim meets, they are what I miss the most! I used to compete in Battle Creek back in the late 80's, had some great meets down there for sure! Thanks for the input everyone. much appreciated.
Children
No Data