Hypoglycemia?

Former Member
Former Member
I was wondering if any of the swimmers on this board has chronic hypoglycemia. How does it affect your swimming? I was diagnosed with the condition last year after living with the symptoms my whole life (I can remember feeling weak and dizzy frequently in elementary school.) I have completely eliminated sugar and refined carbohydrates from my diet, but exersize can still be a problem. Swimming seems to be easier on me, though. Any thoughts?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 20 years ago
    so whats the treatment(i know diabetics inject insulin)i know you suggested sugar drink,but what if nearly in coma???
  • Former Member
    Sparx35, The treatment for a person with low blood sugars would be: 1. test if a glucometer is avaliable to determion the level. 2. Administer a quickly absorbed high carb drink like pop, juice, gatorade or a protein carb mix sports drink. Even a piece of candy or caramilk chocolate will do. 3. If the person is in a coma place some honey in the cheek and massage this in while waiting for the paramedics to arrive. A person with diabetes would NOT inject insulin. If insulin was injected in a person with low blood sugars an extremely dangerous medical emergency would result. Insulin, secreted by the pancreas, is released when food is injested. An insulin dependent diabetic does not make any insulin and therefore must inject this hormone, usually multiple times a day. A low blood sugar is a result of having too much insulin circulating for the amount of food/fuel in the blood stream. Working out, especially when training the aerobic system, will cause a drop in blood sugars. (some athletes refer to this as 'bonking'). Maintaining a level blood sugar is done by careful injestion of measured carbohydrate regularly - depending on the length of training. For those athletes who are diabetic, they must test frequently, before, during and after workout. To avoid a low blood sugar, they must injest a measured amount of carbohydrate and or protein mix (Again depends on length of training as to the food injested). If you have a swimmer who is diabetic advise them if a long aerobic set is planned so they are prepared and can complete the workout sucessfully. "To motivate add water" "Fear is a reaction, courage is a decision"
  • Former Member
    I was diagnosed with reactive hypoglycemia a few years ago. My pancreas produces too much insulin in reaction to foods I eat. The faster they turn to blood glucose the sharper the reaction. I have been able to manage it with diet. I recently consulted a registered dietician for help with what to eat before my morning swim (or other workout) and she suggested egg or egg whites and whole wheat toast or light string cheese and a piece of fruit. The egg whites and toast seems to work best and I eat them at least 30 mins (usually more like 40) before hitting the water. It takes me 30 just to drive to the pool so that works well for me. As far as it affecting my swimming? I don't think it does as long as I manage it. Otherwise it makes me tired and fatigued (if not worse) but that would be swimming or not. :)
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    Yes, I have been to an endocrinologist. However, the Naturopathic Dr. was much more helpful. She advised me to take supplements that help with hypoglycemia. I've only been on them a week, and I can already tell the difference! It's amazing what good nutrition can do for the body. As far as testing goes, I took the GTT (glucose tolerance test) and it was confirmed that I am hypoglycemic. Which supplements do you take? Chromium? I also think i have it. I swam 500m last nite, ate before and after but still felt fatigued, faint, lack of focus, and hyper at same time from swim. It wasn't til i ate choc icecream at 11 that i felt normal again. I'd already had small baked potato with cheese, butter, salmon fillet and half a small watermelon prior. Plus banana and dark choc just before i swam :S I just ordered a glucose metre, had one when younger but never tested after exercise. How much do i need to eat to stop this happening??
  • I wrote about hypoglycemia of exercise in the Jan/Feb 2017 Swimmer. The problem started for me about a decade ago, and it was fairly hit or miss at first--sometimes I had problems during practice, other times I didn't. But over time it became more regular, and today, I am virtually guaranteed of getting it at every practice unless I take preventative action. Perhaps ironically, it usually sets in after a moderate 1000 yard warm up--you'd think you would really need to tax your sugar stores with a lot more hard swimming before the glucose starts plummeting. For about a year, I started eating a package of Lance Peanut Butter Crackers 15 minutes or so before every workout, and this did the trick. The problem was that the snack was so dry that it left my mouth feeling pasty! A friend told me about GU energy gel, and I switched to this stuff. I admit that the stuff over time becomes kind of disgusting to take, but it is very reliable, at least for me, if I take it 15 minutes before practice. And I do--like clockwork--before every practice and meet. If I forget, the hypoglycemia invariably returns. I know sugars are pretty maligned in many nutritional circles, but without my prophylactic GU, I think a significant exercise load would be hard if not impossible for me to undertake. I recommend giving GU a try. http://guenergy.com/
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    I was wondering if any of the swimmers on this board has chronic hypoglycemia. How does it affect your swimming? I was diagnosed with the condition last year after living with the symptoms my whole life (I can remember feeling weak and dizzy frequently in elementary school.) I have completely eliminated sugar and refined carbohydrates from my diet, but exersize can still be a problem. Swimming seems to be easier on me, though. Any thoughts? Hypoglycemia, also called low blood glucose or low blood sugar, occurs when the level of glucose in your blood drops below normal. For many people with diabetes, that means a level of 70 milligrams per deciliter (mg/dL) or less. Your numbers might be different, so check with your health care provider to find out what level is too low for you. 9apps