Hypoglycemia?

Former Member
Former Member
I was wondering if any of the swimmers on this board has chronic hypoglycemia. How does it affect your swimming? I was diagnosed with the condition last year after living with the symptoms my whole life (I can remember feeling weak and dizzy frequently in elementary school.) I have completely eliminated sugar and refined carbohydrates from my diet, but exersize can still be a problem. Swimming seems to be easier on me, though. Any thoughts?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 20 years ago
    Sparx35, The treatment for a person with low blood sugars would be: 1. test if a glucometer is avaliable to determion the level. 2. Administer a quickly absorbed high carb drink like pop, juice, gatorade or a protein carb mix sports drink. Even a piece of candy or caramilk chocolate will do. 3. If the person is in a coma place some honey in the cheek and massage this in while waiting for the paramedics to arrive. A person with diabetes would NOT inject insulin. If insulin was injected in a person with low blood sugars an extremely dangerous medical emergency would result. Insulin, secreted by the pancreas, is released when food is injested. An insulin dependent diabetic does not make any insulin and therefore must inject this hormone, usually multiple times a day. A low blood sugar is a result of having too much insulin circulating for the amount of food/fuel in the blood stream. Working out, especially when training the aerobic system, will cause a drop in blood sugars. (some athletes refer to this as 'bonking'). Maintaining a level blood sugar is done by careful injestion of measured carbohydrate regularly - depending on the length of training. For those athletes who are diabetic, they must test frequently, before, during and after workout. To avoid a low blood sugar, they must injest a measured amount of carbohydrate and or protein mix (Again depends on length of training as to the food injested). If you have a swimmer who is diabetic advise them if a long aerobic set is planned so they are prepared and can complete the workout sucessfully. "To motivate add water" "Fear is a reaction, courage is a decision"
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 20 years ago
    Sparx35, The treatment for a person with low blood sugars would be: 1. test if a glucometer is avaliable to determion the level. 2. Administer a quickly absorbed high carb drink like pop, juice, gatorade or a protein carb mix sports drink. Even a piece of candy or caramilk chocolate will do. 3. If the person is in a coma place some honey in the cheek and massage this in while waiting for the paramedics to arrive. A person with diabetes would NOT inject insulin. If insulin was injected in a person with low blood sugars an extremely dangerous medical emergency would result. Insulin, secreted by the pancreas, is released when food is injested. An insulin dependent diabetic does not make any insulin and therefore must inject this hormone, usually multiple times a day. A low blood sugar is a result of having too much insulin circulating for the amount of food/fuel in the blood stream. Working out, especially when training the aerobic system, will cause a drop in blood sugars. (some athletes refer to this as 'bonking'). Maintaining a level blood sugar is done by careful injestion of measured carbohydrate regularly - depending on the length of training. For those athletes who are diabetic, they must test frequently, before, during and after workout. To avoid a low blood sugar, they must injest a measured amount of carbohydrate and or protein mix (Again depends on length of training as to the food injested). If you have a swimmer who is diabetic advise them if a long aerobic set is planned so they are prepared and can complete the workout sucessfully. "To motivate add water" "Fear is a reaction, courage is a decision"
Children
No Data