Is your pool too hot !

Former Member
Former Member
My local pool has just raised the water temp to 30 ' C ( 86 ' F ) ! At this temp I am exhausted after 4 lengths. A full workout of 60 to 90 mins is impossible without suffering heat exhaustion. They have already had 1 swimmer collapse on poolside after swimming hard for 40 mins. This has happened because a ' disabled swim group ' who use the pool for 45 mins once a week keep complaining about how cold the pool is. The pool management can't figure out the pool temp software so the temp is set that high for 24/7. It used to be 27' C ( 80.6' F ) and was then raised to 28'C (82.4 ' F ) 1 year ago. I can't set workouts for my club that cause heat distress if carried out so it is a nightmare. My training is on hold until i can change this and I will have to move my masters club to another pool if not changed. Maybe ' Shaky's ' pool has space for us ? Emmet Hines in his book says that 82 ' F ( 27.7' C ) is ideal for training, and that anything over 84' F ( 28.4 ' C ) is too hot. Does anyone else suffer through hot water temperatures ? Can anyone recommend online research that I can use to prove the dangers of excercising in hot water ?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 21 years ago
    I'll not try to respond to every point you and Shakey have brought up (if for no reason other than you keep making them over and over again, so there is no point to trying respond unless I am up for a "did not"/"did too" contest). Let me just try to point out the self-serving circularity of your last post. You assert that most of the people in water aerobics do not have a medical condition; therefore, they should do some "real" exercise, and presumably get out of your pool. The remainder of people do have a medical condition, and you approve of their using a pool. BUT (here's the hook), their condition should be severe enough that they require immediate medical supervision while they are exercising. Let me guess, your pool does not offer medical supervision during lap/open swim. So, these folks should also get out of your pool. Pretty darn convenient if you are a lap swimmer. Your posts on this issue are tiresome; indeed, any further carping about water temperature or water aerobics classes is tiresome. (We only recycle this issue about once every month and a half, with the usual suspects leading the charge.) I am outta here. Matt
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 21 years ago
    I'll not try to respond to every point you and Shakey have brought up (if for no reason other than you keep making them over and over again, so there is no point to trying respond unless I am up for a "did not"/"did too" contest). Let me just try to point out the self-serving circularity of your last post. You assert that most of the people in water aerobics do not have a medical condition; therefore, they should do some "real" exercise, and presumably get out of your pool. The remainder of people do have a medical condition, and you approve of their using a pool. BUT (here's the hook), their condition should be severe enough that they require immediate medical supervision while they are exercising. Let me guess, your pool does not offer medical supervision during lap/open swim. So, these folks should also get out of your pool. Pretty darn convenient if you are a lap swimmer. Your posts on this issue are tiresome; indeed, any further carping about water temperature or water aerobics classes is tiresome. (We only recycle this issue about once every month and a half, with the usual suspects leading the charge.) I am outta here. Matt
Children
No Data