Is your pool too hot !

Former Member
Former Member
My local pool has just raised the water temp to 30 ' C ( 86 ' F ) ! At this temp I am exhausted after 4 lengths. A full workout of 60 to 90 mins is impossible without suffering heat exhaustion. They have already had 1 swimmer collapse on poolside after swimming hard for 40 mins. This has happened because a ' disabled swim group ' who use the pool for 45 mins once a week keep complaining about how cold the pool is. The pool management can't figure out the pool temp software so the temp is set that high for 24/7. It used to be 27' C ( 80.6' F ) and was then raised to 28'C (82.4 ' F ) 1 year ago. I can't set workouts for my club that cause heat distress if carried out so it is a nightmare. My training is on hold until i can change this and I will have to move my masters club to another pool if not changed. Maybe ' Shaky's ' pool has space for us ? Emmet Hines in his book says that 82 ' F ( 27.7' C ) is ideal for training, and that anything over 84' F ( 28.4 ' C ) is too hot. Does anyone else suffer through hot water temperatures ? Can anyone recommend online research that I can use to prove the dangers of excercising in hot water ?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 21 years ago
    Aquageek, Hmmmmm no talking when you are working out. Isn't the talk test a way to see if you are running too hard, if you can carry on a conversation while running then you are doing aerobic work (ie with air) if you are unable to talk then that would be anaerobic. Since most of these people are just looking for health and fitness then most of their work would be aerobic so being able to talk wouldn't be too far from the norm. I think its pretty sad how it constantly comes up to a 'bash' fest with water aerobics. Once again I understand - I have seen my share of classes where people look out of shape, overweight or whatever. We have all seen the facts about obesity, at least these people are getting out an moving rather than sitting at home parked on the sofa eating bon bons (or whatever) watching tv. Even social interaction has a health benefit, so whats wrong with socializing while working out. As to why they are floating around or sitting during the workout- could be a million reasons among those arthritis, cardio vascular issues, surgery, back and neck injuries and on. First hand accounts on using aqua exercise, rehab my knee ( an ACL reconstruct and meniscus tear) and my wife for her first pregnancy (she is not a swimmer, but the water exercise was a good workout without impact and actually helped in dealing with swelling in the last tri-mester). The fact is there are good instructors and bad instructors (just as in any profession). We have dry land instructors (teach spinning, body pump, step aerobics and kick box) that come in and teach our aqua exercise classes too - I have one instructor who teaches only aqua exercise, and the comments are her workouts are harder than the dry land instructors who come in and teach (BTW all our aqua exercise instructors are AEA certified). Unfortunately the pool issues are up to the facility management, you can voice your opinion, just keep in mind that it is pretty obvious that a pool can't be all things to everyone, you would need about 10 different pools in the same facility to accomplish this.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 21 years ago
    Aquageek, Hmmmmm no talking when you are working out. Isn't the talk test a way to see if you are running too hard, if you can carry on a conversation while running then you are doing aerobic work (ie with air) if you are unable to talk then that would be anaerobic. Since most of these people are just looking for health and fitness then most of their work would be aerobic so being able to talk wouldn't be too far from the norm. I think its pretty sad how it constantly comes up to a 'bash' fest with water aerobics. Once again I understand - I have seen my share of classes where people look out of shape, overweight or whatever. We have all seen the facts about obesity, at least these people are getting out an moving rather than sitting at home parked on the sofa eating bon bons (or whatever) watching tv. Even social interaction has a health benefit, so whats wrong with socializing while working out. As to why they are floating around or sitting during the workout- could be a million reasons among those arthritis, cardio vascular issues, surgery, back and neck injuries and on. First hand accounts on using aqua exercise, rehab my knee ( an ACL reconstruct and meniscus tear) and my wife for her first pregnancy (she is not a swimmer, but the water exercise was a good workout without impact and actually helped in dealing with swelling in the last tri-mester). The fact is there are good instructors and bad instructors (just as in any profession). We have dry land instructors (teach spinning, body pump, step aerobics and kick box) that come in and teach our aqua exercise classes too - I have one instructor who teaches only aqua exercise, and the comments are her workouts are harder than the dry land instructors who come in and teach (BTW all our aqua exercise instructors are AEA certified). Unfortunately the pool issues are up to the facility management, you can voice your opinion, just keep in mind that it is pretty obvious that a pool can't be all things to everyone, you would need about 10 different pools in the same facility to accomplish this.
Children
No Data