Virtual Swimming

With no Nationals this year, USMS said they will have virtual events. I'm not sure how this will work. VR headsets are expensive enough, how much is a VR tech suit? Do they have them at Swimoutlet?
  • Thatâ€Tms like a 1:10 100m OW pace! Did he join a pod?
  • They have a plan now for the virtual events. I think it is probably a good plan, but I am not sure the pool event events will work for me. Assuming pools open here in August, lane time will be inconsistent with probably always 2 to a lane and hard to get someone to time, maybe the lifeguards?
  • Is anyone considering the virtual championships? Thinking about getting the app
  • I may be able to swim it. There is a pool, in one of the counties that has pools open, that is in reasonable driving distance.My wife and I can reserve a lane(it's 2 to a lane, but they let family members share a lane.) Sessions are 45 min, but if there is space available one can reserve 2 sessions in a row on the weekend. That would give me time to swim the 3 BR races and my wife to get some BK times with reasonable recovery(maybe, really unclear of my conditioning sine I am only swimming open water once or twice a week.) Given my lack of pool time I have no idea how my stroke mechanics, not to mention turns, will be. As for starts, my lack of starting from a block for several months will likely not be an issue as I don't believe they will allow starting from the blocks. Much less than ideal, but at least it is something.
  • Is anyone considering the virtual championships? Thinking about getting the app Want to, but not sure if I'll be able to. Club team my Masters group is attached to is moving around practices to accommodate the school year starting so I'm not sure if Masters will have the space to do timed stuff, since we'll have to share with the Senior groups...
  • Is anyone considering the virtual championships?I won't do any of the pool events, primarily because the times will just be too depressing, but also because I won't have access to a decent pool with blocks or backstroke flags! If it's not a pain to connect up with swim.com, I'll "double dip" from one of the multiple virtual open water races I'm already a part of and submit my times. It would be nice if, for the open water events, we could just submit times from Garmin or Strava, since many OW swimmers are already connected to that.
  • Is anyone considering the virtual championships? I did my 10k postal yesterday (I found an open 50M pool 600 miles from my house at altitude and set at a balmy 83 degrees). From the looks of it, nobody is interested or able to find an open 50 meter pool (as of now, I'm the only entry). As far as the virtual championship, I was going to enter as many as possible. I did 3 events today...a 400 IM today and my watch thought my breaststroke was backstroke and my freestyle was also backstroke, so I had to enter it manually. I also did a 200 *** (my first ever) and my watch thought it was back (310 sucks for any stroke) so I had to also enter that one manually. Finally, I did a 100 fly and my watch said I only did 75... another manual entry. The other downside and I'm assuming everyone has this problem is most lifeguards won't let you dive in...so my times are all from a push AFTER I've fumbled with starting my watch. Perhaps for my better events, I'll at least get a timer as it looks like I will have to manually enter everything anyway. Open water 10k race this weekend with possibly some splits along the way to submit. At least it's something to do, I guess.
  • As far as the virtual championship, I was going to enter as many as possible. I did 3 events today...a 400 IM today and my watch thought my breaststroke was backstroke and my freestyle was also backstroke, so I had to enter it manually. I also did a 200 *** (my first ever) and my watch thought it was back (310 sucks for any stroke) so I had to also enter that one manually. Finally, I did a 100 fly and my watch said I only did 75... another manual entry.As much as I like my Garmin watch for open water, it's kind of crap for pool swimming unless you're only doing freestyle. Based upon my first experience swimming with Form goggles in the pool, I had the same experience. The technology just doesn't seem mature enough to recognize kicking, drills or any stroke other than freestyle. That's fine enough for me as I do like the heartrate on the Garmin watch in the pool.
  • Well... I got a chance to get off the blocks at the very end of this morning's practice and did a 100 fly. Not the worst race I've ever done but definitely feeling only 4 weeks consistently back in the water. My goal was to beat my 57.7 100 *** best time and I went 56.7.www.youtube.com/watch
  • Nice, JP! That time would almost put you the Top Ten. :applaud: That's fantastic, considering the time off. Before you know it, you'll be back in 6th or even better!