Wetsuit for cold water

Former Member
Former Member
Any recâ€Tms on a wetsuit that will keep you warm in sub 60 water and still be able to swim 2-3 miles?
Parents
  • For a contrary perspective: I have never felt the need for booties or gloves and I swim when the water is down to the low 50s. I also hate sleeves; they restrict my range of motion on recovery and fatigue my shoulders and neck very quickly. You want a swimming wetsuit, not one for paddling or surfing. Several manufacturers make good sleeveless swimming wetsuits (Orca, Roka, BlueSeventy, Xterra, Arena, TYR, probably others) but you will have to try them on to figure out which one fits your body best. Here is my advice on things to add to a normal pool swimming outfit to keep warm, in order of importance. The most important thing is the one you would wear in the warmest water and then you'd add the others as the water gets cooler. I also note the approximate water temperature at which I would add each item but you may be more or less cold-tolerant than I am. 1. A latex or silicone swim cap if you usually swim with a bare head. Choose a bright color (lime green, yellow, pink, white). 2, 75F. Earplugs. I hate these in the pool but they really help in cooler water. 3, 70F. A second latex or silicone cap. 4, 65F. A neoprene cap instead of the inner latex or silicone cap 5, 58F. A sleeveless wetsuit, maybe. I might wear one in slightly warmer water on a cloudy day, or skip the wetsuit down to 55F or so in hot late summer after a few months of cold-water acclimation. Nowadays I'm wearing one but I hope to stop soon.
  • For a contrary perspective: I have never felt the need for booties or gloves and I swim when the water is down to the low 50s. I also hate sleeves; they restrict my range of motion on recovery and fatigue my shoulders and neck very quickly. You want a swimming wetsuit, not one for paddling or surfing. Several manufacturers make good sleeveless swimming wetsuits (Orca, Roka, BlueSeventy, Xterra, Arena, TYR, probably others) but you will have to try them on to figure out which one fits your body best. Here is my advice on things to add to a normal pool swimming outfit to keep warm, in order of importance. The most important thing is the one you would wear in the warmest water and then you'd add the others as the water gets cooler. I also note the approximate water temperature at which I would add each item but you may be more or less cold-tolerant than I am. 1. A latex or silicone swim cap if you usually swim with a bare head. Choose a bright color (lime green, yellow, pink, white). 2, 75F. Earplugs. I hate these in the pool but they really help in cooler water. 3, 70F. A second latex or silicone cap. 4, 65F. A neoprene cap instead of the inner latex or silicone cap 5, 58F. A sleeveless wetsuit, maybe. I might wear one in slightly warmer water on a cloudy day, or skip the wetsuit down to 55F or so in hot late summer after a few months of cold-water acclimation. Nowadays I'm wearing one but I hope to stop soon.
Children
No Data