When we return to swimming.

For me, it's now going on four weeks since my last swim. We were in Turks and Caicos March 7-14 for spring break where I was doing daily open-water swims along the beach. My last swim was a 3-miler on March 13. When we got back to the U.S., we had to go into mandated 14-day quarantine so I wasn't able to get out to go to the pool before they all closed. Who knows when I'll swim again...either open-water warming up (I live in RI), or pools opening again. I am maintaining fitness with bike rides, and a run here and there. And I know I there is other 'dry land' training I could be doing. But my concern when returning to the water is injuring myself because of doing TMTS. I'm just that kind of athlete. Raise you're hand if you think you're a candidate for a TMTS injury too. Dan
  • SwimSwam recently posted this... swimswam.com/.../ I believe that references the link Elaine posted, which, as she pointed out, is dated today.
  • Reported on radio this afternoon. Radio station? I will see if their website has a report i can follow. This is all I have seen to date, and it (in combination with the state publications, USA Swimming publications, and our own action plan) has not moved our local authorities much. WHile the rest of the world is swimming, with groups on opposite ends of the pool, meaning 2 swimmers per lane, our local authorities will only allow 10 people IN THE BUILDING. And they finally agreed to that late yesterday. www.cdc.gov/.../water.html
  • Flystorms, Thank you for the tip. I have used the USMS workouts before and have an extensive collection of workouts from which to choose on my computer as well. In my life as a masters swimmer, I have often had to be my own coach and "coached" my fellow swimmers from the water. I've just never been told that I would have to pay extra for a lane in which to be my own coach. lol
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    SwimSwam recently posted this... swimswam.com/.../ The CDC is apparently calling for keeping patrons separated by 6 feet whenever possible, which would seem to eliminate any lane sharing. Having said that, these guidelines appear to be more lap swim specific than previous CDC releases that I've read, and might be helpful for getting more pools opened in a controlled manner.
  • I don't see how the director could justify charging us extra if a bunch of us show for lap swim and do a workout that someone has brought. We are using the lap swim space the same as any other member, and probably more efficiently since we share lane space and circle swim by ability. I guess if the Y ever re-opens the pool we can test this theory out. My thoughts exactly.
  • Interesting. I am actually of the exact opposite perspective. The air around an indoor pool will have a fair amount of chlorine in it, and I would expect that it may be more inhospitable to the virus than outdoor air. This assumes that the 6' distance means that the virus will fall out fo the air and to surfaces by the time it travels 6 feet. Because that would mean that any of the virus cells that were exhaled would not leave the area, so all the fresh air blowing around wouldn't do any good. Now, any other indoor factility, I would be the exact opposite. But to be clear, I am speculating. I don't know how much chlorine is in the air, or how much it takes to kill the virus. Used to use the term "directionally correct" if a statistical change to a single action couldn't be measured (noting a bunch of directionally correct actions together could be). I see this like that, in the absence of data. The indoor pool in our Sun City community is saline, so there is less chlorine. I also figured that outside, especially when it's hot and sunny, the UV rays would kill the virus quicker than indoors. In addition, I was thinking about the close proximity of the noodlers, whereas in our outdoor pool, the lap lanes are at the far end from where the noodlers have their classes. So, I agree with 'freestyler as far as my specific situation goes.
  • Link? This would be immensely helpful to a lot of people. I serached, but can't find anything released in the past month or so. Check this one out, 67': www.cdc.gov/.../aquatic-venues.html
  • Former Member
    I believe that references the link Elaine posted, which, as she pointed out, is dated today. Yes, seems I missed that. I just read on SwimSwam that a team in Texas is now open with 4 swimmers per lane. I'm sure it's ok. Swim coaches know more about pool related epidemiology than actual epidemiologists at CDC.
  • Former Member
    A small ray of sunshine: The CDC today issued a statement about pools and water sports having a zero chance of infection, provided the chlorine is kept up to date. Perhaps cooler heads will prevail about opening pools again. Zero chance of infection from the water itself (oral/nasal/ingestion/orbital?) or zero chance of infection between athletes as long as they are in a diluted chlorine soup? Iâ€Tmll believe the former. The latter seems a rather absolute statement. Iâ€Tmll keep my eyes open. Our daughterâ€Tms club water polo team isnâ€Tmt expecting to get back in the water until July. And thatâ€Tms not a certainty. Admittedly, water polo presents a more direct route of transmission than competitive swimming.