Trouble learning to swim

Former Member
Former Member
Yes, I'm in my 50's and have been struggling to learn to swim. I have had two private coaches and I spend a lot of time training. It appears I can not relax causing breathing problems and tense muscles. How is this fixed?? My wife says I'm afraid of the water even though I can train for an hour. Any suggestions??
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    I was at a swim clinic where they recommended practicing, of all things, bobbing in shallow water. Breathe out as you go under, breathe in when you come up - don't hold your breath, just breathe in rhythm with going under and coming up. Exercises used by singers for breathing my also help you focus on the muscles used in breathing, the process, and being able to take deep, full breaths and exhale quickly and automatically.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    I was at a swim clinic where they recommended practicing, of all things, bobbing in shallow water. Breathe out as you go under, breathe in when you come up - don't hold your breath, just breathe in rhythm with going under and coming up. Exercises used by singers for breathing my also help you focus on the muscles used in breathing, the process, and being able to take deep, full breaths and exhale quickly and automatically.
Children
No Data