Trouble learning to swim

Former Member
Former Member
Yes, I'm in my 50's and have been struggling to learn to swim. I have had two private coaches and I spend a lot of time training. It appears I can not relax causing breathing problems and tense muscles. How is this fixed?? My wife says I'm afraid of the water even though I can train for an hour. Any suggestions??
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    For the most part, we can only guess here. How often do you train for an hour? For a 50-something non-swimmer, I'd recommend 25 minutes, as easy as possible, 3 times a week. Then after 6 weeks or so, you could gradually work up to more. When I first trained to do a 2.25 mile open swim (in my 50's), for the first month or so, when I went into the water, I used a mantra-like phrase for each stroke. The phrase was "Relax." Do your coaches have experience with adult beginners? If they are used to training athletic 20-somethings, who have competitive swim experience, they might not be right for you.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    For the most part, we can only guess here. How often do you train for an hour? For a 50-something non-swimmer, I'd recommend 25 minutes, as easy as possible, 3 times a week. Then after 6 weeks or so, you could gradually work up to more. When I first trained to do a 2.25 mile open swim (in my 50's), for the first month or so, when I went into the water, I used a mantra-like phrase for each stroke. The phrase was "Relax." Do your coaches have experience with adult beginners? If they are used to training athletic 20-somethings, who have competitive swim experience, they might not be right for you.
Children
No Data