Need advice on single-arm strokes

Thanks to cervical spine issues, I can't use my left arm for repetitive overhead movements. I'm interested in advice on which strokes might be possible with one arm. My goal is an aerobic/anaerobic heart rate for an hour, not elapsed time per distance. I'd also be interested in any reference material. Kicking for 2000 yards is becoming boring. Don P
Parents
  • I was going to suggest sidestroke too. I swim and part-time lifeguard at a pool on a Navy base. The guys getting ready to go into SEAL training do sidestroke all the time. Some of them really perfect it and move pretty swiftly. The only thing is...in the "combat" sidestroke you recover both arms to over your head. As you said...you can't do that. I was thinking that you could swim it in a way (or, on the side) that makes the arm you can't put over your head as the arm that pushes from the waist. At about three minutes into this video it will show you the armstroke for a more conventional sidestroke where one arm only goes as high as your chest. m.youtube.com/watch Dan
  • I was going to suggest sidestroke too. I swim and part-time lifeguard at a pool on a Navy base. The guys getting ready to go into SEAL training do sidestroke all the time. Some of them really perfect it and move pretty swiftly. The only thing is...in the "combat" sidestroke you recover both arms to over your head. As you said...you can't do that. I was thinking that you could swim it in a way (or, on the side) that makes the arm you can't put over your head as the arm that pushes from the waist. At about three minutes into this video it will show you the armstroke for a more conventional sidestroke where one arm only goes as high as your chest. m.youtube.com/watch Dan
Children
No Data