Swim vs gym - striking a balance

Former Member
Former Member
I've (M55) started adding gym twice a week (evenings) to my regular early morning swim sessions. I do a session based loosely around the jason lezak video (www.bodybuilding.com/.../weight-training-for-sprint-swimmers.html) with some core work and pressups. The full session including stretching takes about one hour twenty minutes. I'm usually knackered after it. I'm still pretty tired the following day and DOMS kicking in on the second day, so consequently my pool work isn't at the same level it would normally be, think less of USRPT and more long distance plod at an easy pace. So, my question is how do people strike a balance? I imagine swimming is the best exercise for swimming, so am I being counterproductive by doing gym work, if my swim training suffers? I realise I'm not 16 anymore, but I was never very strong, so I feel that the extra strength from gym work should be beneficial. I'm a middle distance freestyler if that make any difference. My morning swim sessions are around 90 mins. Thanks.
Parents
  • So, my question is how do people strike a balance? I imagine swimming is the best exercise for swimming, so am I being counterproductive by doing gym work, if my swim training suffers. Excellent question! Doesn't this depend on your goals? FWIW I'm a similar age and a few years ago started doing regular gym work (some HI interval training and some strength) twice a week - supplementing 3-4 swims per week. It kicked the c**p out of me. I swam slower in training and had a hard time recovering enough to do quality swimming. However, over time, I think the gym work has helped me be a bit more resilient (eg in multi-day swim meets). There's no counterfactual to compare on speed but I may be slowing down more slowly than I otherwise would. My goal from the gym work was to try to stay in the game ie compete at a reasonable level into my 60s and hopefully beyond. I think the gym work is helping. Plus I enjoy the change and new challenge. So my answer to your question is that it may slow you down a bit in the short term, but could pay longer term dividends. But to swim fast, you will probably need to rest from the gym work from time to time and make sure you get quality work in the pool. You might also want to experiment with a cyclic approach - eg three weeks of gym work followed by a week without in a mesocycle. Good luck and have fun with it :)
  • So, my question is how do people strike a balance? I imagine swimming is the best exercise for swimming, so am I being counterproductive by doing gym work, if my swim training suffers. Excellent question! Doesn't this depend on your goals? FWIW I'm a similar age and a few years ago started doing regular gym work (some HI interval training and some strength) twice a week - supplementing 3-4 swims per week. It kicked the c**p out of me. I swam slower in training and had a hard time recovering enough to do quality swimming. However, over time, I think the gym work has helped me be a bit more resilient (eg in multi-day swim meets). There's no counterfactual to compare on speed but I may be slowing down more slowly than I otherwise would. My goal from the gym work was to try to stay in the game ie compete at a reasonable level into my 60s and hopefully beyond. I think the gym work is helping. Plus I enjoy the change and new challenge. So my answer to your question is that it may slow you down a bit in the short term, but could pay longer term dividends. But to swim fast, you will probably need to rest from the gym work from time to time and make sure you get quality work in the pool. You might also want to experiment with a cyclic approach - eg three weeks of gym work followed by a week without in a mesocycle. Good luck and have fun with it :)
Children
No Data