Swim vs gym - striking a balance

Former Member
Former Member
I've (M55) started adding gym twice a week (evenings) to my regular early morning swim sessions. I do a session based loosely around the jason lezak video (www.bodybuilding.com/.../weight-training-for-sprint-swimmers.html) with some core work and pressups. The full session including stretching takes about one hour twenty minutes. I'm usually knackered after it. I'm still pretty tired the following day and DOMS kicking in on the second day, so consequently my pool work isn't at the same level it would normally be, think less of USRPT and more long distance plod at an easy pace. So, my question is how do people strike a balance? I imagine swimming is the best exercise for swimming, so am I being counterproductive by doing gym work, if my swim training suffers? I realise I'm not 16 anymore, but I was never very strong, so I feel that the extra strength from gym work should be beneficial. I'm a middle distance freestyler if that make any difference. My morning swim sessions are around 90 mins. Thanks.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    I didnt think it was particularly relevant what i did for the morning sessions, but since you asked: about 4-5K ish, depending on the set. I try and do mainly USRPT stuff, 3 sets per session ( I dont always make it) Usually 50's at a 400 - 800 pace free, a "rest" stroke 25's at 100 pace, to accomodate the non freestylers in the lane, and finish with 25's at 100 free pace. Most people say the sets are brutal. They are probably right. On the tired days, its something like 10x400, maybe with paddles, at an easy pace - 30 secs rest. btw, I dont have shoulder issues. I put that down to pressups. I believe whatever imbalance people have in their strokes that may cause shoulder issues, the preventative medicine is pressups. cheap and easy to do ;-)
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    I didnt think it was particularly relevant what i did for the morning sessions, but since you asked: about 4-5K ish, depending on the set. I try and do mainly USRPT stuff, 3 sets per session ( I dont always make it) Usually 50's at a 400 - 800 pace free, a "rest" stroke 25's at 100 pace, to accomodate the non freestylers in the lane, and finish with 25's at 100 free pace. Most people say the sets are brutal. They are probably right. On the tired days, its something like 10x400, maybe with paddles, at an easy pace - 30 secs rest. btw, I dont have shoulder issues. I put that down to pressups. I believe whatever imbalance people have in their strokes that may cause shoulder issues, the preventative medicine is pressups. cheap and easy to do ;-)
Children
No Data