Swim vs gym - striking a balance

Former Member
Former Member
I've (M55) started adding gym twice a week (evenings) to my regular early morning swim sessions. I do a session based loosely around the jason lezak video (www.bodybuilding.com/.../weight-training-for-sprint-swimmers.html) with some core work and pressups. The full session including stretching takes about one hour twenty minutes. I'm usually knackered after it. I'm still pretty tired the following day and DOMS kicking in on the second day, so consequently my pool work isn't at the same level it would normally be, think less of USRPT and more long distance plod at an easy pace. So, my question is how do people strike a balance? I imagine swimming is the best exercise for swimming, so am I being counterproductive by doing gym work, if my swim training suffers? I realise I'm not 16 anymore, but I was never very strong, so I feel that the extra strength from gym work should be beneficial. I'm a middle distance freestyler if that make any difference. My morning swim sessions are around 90 mins. Thanks.
Parents
  • howdy! you wrote a lot, but didnt say much. you swim for 90min, but what do you do? how far do you go? what type of sets and intervals? as far as balance goes...i dont have one. probably ... nope...exactly why i tore up my shoulder ... both times. about the only time i dont push is when ive had surgery and am in recovery....well until i get the greenish light to work it up again. i like how my shoulder doc will say..."steve what i would like is for you to take 3 weeks off...now since we both know you wont...how about" honestly you need both if *i* had to give one up well it has to be weights. i mean its simple...not swimming is NOT swimming ;) steve 53ish
  • howdy! you wrote a lot, but didnt say much. you swim for 90min, but what do you do? how far do you go? what type of sets and intervals? as far as balance goes...i dont have one. probably ... nope...exactly why i tore up my shoulder ... both times. about the only time i dont push is when ive had surgery and am in recovery....well until i get the greenish light to work it up again. i like how my shoulder doc will say..."steve what i would like is for you to take 3 weeks off...now since we both know you wont...how about" honestly you need both if *i* had to give one up well it has to be weights. i mean its simple...not swimming is NOT swimming ;) steve 53ish
Children
No Data