A question about technique vs strength

Former Member
Former Member
For a 54-year old (that's me), which is more critical to limit the potential swim speed between flawed technique and unathletic strength? Well, I'll actually try to improve both. However, many people around me mainly focus on swimming more laps and gym workout, while don't bother about improving their technique at all, despite their techniques being far from efficient.
Parents
  • being in the AFR I somewhat envy the Navy’s fitness test option to swim instead of running. In my age group it takes 10.5 min 1.5 mile run to get a perfect score on the aerobic part (I did that once but it was not worth the effort and trauma). The navy standard for perfect score with a swim is about 8 min for a 500m swim. Wow, that is surprising. I know the Army's perfect score was an 11:54 for 2 miles, which makes 10.5 for 1.5 miles seem like a walk in the park. NO swim option there, either. This is for the younger crowd, though, so maybe the ages we are discussing are different.
  • being in the AFR I somewhat envy the Navy’s fitness test option to swim instead of running. In my age group it takes 10.5 min 1.5 mile run to get a perfect score on the aerobic part (I did that once but it was not worth the effort and trauma). The navy standard for perfect score with a swim is about 8 min for a 500m swim. Wow, that is surprising. I know the Army's perfect score was an 11:54 for 2 miles, which makes 10.5 for 1.5 miles seem like a walk in the park. NO swim option there, either. This is for the younger crowd, though, so maybe the ages we are discussing are different.
Children
No Data