A question about technique vs strength

Former Member
Former Member
For a 54-year old (that's me), which is more critical to limit the potential swim speed between flawed technique and unathletic strength? Well, I'll actually try to improve both. However, many people around me mainly focus on swimming more laps and gym workout, while don't bother about improving their technique at all, despite their techniques being far from efficient.
Parents
  • I tend to agree with 67 above. Some people just don't care much about technique and just want to be moving in order to burn the calories and/or gain the health benefits of exercise. Or, in other words, they are swimming ("moving") for the health benefits and not necessarily to get faster, or more efficient. At my pool, which I also lifeguard at part-time, we have the usual contrast of swimmers. For example: There is one woman (actually a friend) who is very accomplished. She has held (and currently holds) multiple USMS age group world records. She is a certified level 3 USMS coach (and also lifeguards with us). During her own workouts, she is constantly giving tips and advice to swimmers in adjacent lanes (if they want it). She's very friendly, and they know her pedigree and are generally receptive to her. But, there is one woman about her same age who is a terrible swimmer and just won't accept her advice. When I say terrible swimmer...I mean her crawl stroke takes her just over a minute to swim one 25 meter length of the pool. Her stroke rate is about the same as the first woman...yet she's really just thrashing...not pulling much. BUT, she swims steadily for an hour-and-a-half and completes only about a mile or so. She's "moving"...getting the exercise she wants...but it just isn't efficient. The first woman has tried to help her to swim at least a little more efficiently but she just doesn't think she needs it saying "My stroke rate is the same as yours." But, if all she's seeking are the benefits of exercise, and not getting faster/efficient...I can't argue much. It's just frustrating to watch her swim. Dan
  • I tend to agree with 67 above. Some people just don't care much about technique and just want to be moving in order to burn the calories and/or gain the health benefits of exercise. Or, in other words, they are swimming ("moving") for the health benefits and not necessarily to get faster, or more efficient. At my pool, which I also lifeguard at part-time, we have the usual contrast of swimmers. For example: There is one woman (actually a friend) who is very accomplished. She has held (and currently holds) multiple USMS age group world records. She is a certified level 3 USMS coach (and also lifeguards with us). During her own workouts, she is constantly giving tips and advice to swimmers in adjacent lanes (if they want it). She's very friendly, and they know her pedigree and are generally receptive to her. But, there is one woman about her same age who is a terrible swimmer and just won't accept her advice. When I say terrible swimmer...I mean her crawl stroke takes her just over a minute to swim one 25 meter length of the pool. Her stroke rate is about the same as the first woman...yet she's really just thrashing...not pulling much. BUT, she swims steadily for an hour-and-a-half and completes only about a mile or so. She's "moving"...getting the exercise she wants...but it just isn't efficient. The first woman has tried to help her to swim at least a little more efficiently but she just doesn't think she needs it saying "My stroke rate is the same as yours." But, if all she's seeking are the benefits of exercise, and not getting faster/efficient...I can't argue much. It's just frustrating to watch her swim. Dan
Children
No Data