Qs about interval training for open water races

Former Member
Former Member
Hi everyone, In preparation for a 6k race next year, I've changed my training plan to interval training 3 days a week, Mo (20*100m), We (10*200m), Fr (5*400m). Currently I keep lowering the time it takes to swim one repetition. I have two main questions: is this a good strategy, to lower the time/ interval until I achieve a desired pace and after that to increase the number of repetions, aiming for race distance? What would be a better approach? For these 3 days of interval training, should I keep 100m/ 200m/ 400m intervals or should I increase to 200m/400m/800m? A better option? Cheers, Adrian
Parents
  • Yes thank you pub for the nice little 1500 set. I will add it to my collection. Personally, I don’t think I’m much of a fan of OW, but I seem to do well, so I keep entering them. I get in about 20-25,000 per week from October through July. I just love to go and go. I agree with flystorms on ramping it up on the weekends; when I was training for a 7 mile swim a few years ago, I spent every Saturday for almost 12 weeks before the event, swimming longer and longer workouts. It worked really well for me, so that’s what I still do, even when it’s only 5 miles, or even if it is 10. It’s imperative that you occasionally add in a day or two a month of a solid 45-60 minute swim, but I feel intervals break things up and make you faster - why can’t you do both? Take one day a week for a 5-6000M workout, and the other days can be a mix of whatever moves you. You won’t get burned out that way, either.
  • Yes thank you pub for the nice little 1500 set. I will add it to my collection. Personally, I don’t think I’m much of a fan of OW, but I seem to do well, so I keep entering them. I get in about 20-25,000 per week from October through July. I just love to go and go. I agree with flystorms on ramping it up on the weekends; when I was training for a 7 mile swim a few years ago, I spent every Saturday for almost 12 weeks before the event, swimming longer and longer workouts. It worked really well for me, so that’s what I still do, even when it’s only 5 miles, or even if it is 10. It’s imperative that you occasionally add in a day or two a month of a solid 45-60 minute swim, but I feel intervals break things up and make you faster - why can’t you do both? Take one day a week for a 5-6000M workout, and the other days can be a mix of whatever moves you. You won’t get burned out that way, either.
Children
No Data