Time conversions

Former Member
Former Member
Is there a formula for converting 50 meter times to 25 meter times?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    Um, I swim 25m in 17.5sec, and 50m in 39.0 sec, currently. (Both pushing off.) Quite a diff in pace innit? :) I suspect that the WR for SC is 9.5ish, and 20.26. (Both dive-ins.) Therefore, I believe that your 50m time is around 2.15x your 25m time, based on my current Newbie status, and the WR status (of which 9.5sec is admittedly an "educated" estimate, based on what I see in the 20.26 video.) I could be wrong. :)
  • Um, I swim 25m in 17.5sec, and 50m in 39.0 sec, currently. (Both pushing off.) Quite a diff in pace innit? :) I suspect that the WR for SC is 9.5ish, and 20.26. (Both dive-ins.) Therefore, I believe that your 50m time is around 2.15x your 25m time, based on my current Newbie status, and the WR status (of which 9.5sec is admittedly an "educated" estimate, based on what I see in the 20.26 video.) I could be wrong. :) So I did a bit of a calculation, I got the ratios for this year's men's and women's NCAA championships for the 50 free. Averaged 2.077 for men and 2.068 for women. However... this wouldn't really be a straight 50 to 25 conversion because you don't hit the pad until the end of the flip turn at the 25 mark of the 50. It also wouldn't work for other strokes - backstroke would be closer to 2 because the start is not as much of an advantage as the dive. Breaststroke would be much greater than that because it is a slower stroke so the advantage from the dive is much more. Fly would be in between free and ***. And then you have to consider that the athletes swimming the finals of the 50 at NCAAs are very, very good at starts, while many Masters level swimmers are... not. So that's another variable. Lots of caveats there.