The Effect Of No Lane Ropes?

Former Member
Former Member
Apologies if this is a very silly topic. :) On Tuesdays I like to swim a hard 200m. My last 4 Tuesdays have seen 3:05-3:05-3:05-3:04. I was dreaming of 3:03 today. I went to a different pool today, and during the length-swim time, no ropes were up. You find a black line and go! There were several people doing lengths. I was very surprised at the "sea-state" this created. It's amazing how much those ropes retard the waves. When swimming I could feel myself bouncing around!! Anyway....I swam 3:11. WTF?? I can't believe that I was that slow. Maybe I'm just having a really off day. Or....could the lack of ropes and presence of waves account for a difference of about 4%? (Or am I just looking for excuses?) :)
Parents
  • As wavy as the water was for you, all I could think was how much water you probably swallowed while you were swimming. My suggestion is to stay away from pools that give you that open water feel unless you really have to. I feel fortunate that I swim 95% of my workouts in a great pool. When I think of relocating the question I often have is where am I going to find a pool like this one. 1207312074
  • As wavy as the water was for you, all I could think was how much water you probably swallowed while you were swimming. My suggestion is to stay away from pools that give you that open water feel unless you really have to. I feel fortunate that I swim 95% of my workouts in a great pool. When I think of relocating the question I often have is where am I going to find a pool like this one. 1207312074
Children
No Data