Skin problems after daily swimming

Former Member
Former Member
Hello there, I am a new member to this group and I have read through some of the answers and they seem quite helpful I have been swimming daily for enjoyment and exercise for the past 10 years. I have had no issues up until last spring when the pool gym I go to switch from bromine to a saltwater pool. From what the folks there that work there tell me the chlorine levels tend to be very high and the room and the club smell of chlorine. They are not really sure what the problem is although they have been working diligently to resolve the issue. They suspect it’s because there is too much usage and not enough filtering out of the chlorine. The issues that I’ve been having are my skin is very dry very shiny and I have lost a lot of my body hair legs chest arms etc. I haven’t noticed much on my head but there was a lot more there so I’m probably losing it there too. And I also sometimes have issues with itching skin. Before my swim I generally take a very quick rinse which is what we’re supposed to do before we go into the pool. After swim are use a generic off-the-shelf body wash and then later on at home at night I take a third shower with body wash in normal shampoo. Any suggestions on how I could help with these issues? Thanks in advance!
Parents
  • Hi there and welcome! With 2showers and soaps you might be washing off a lot of your body’s oils. There are some good products on the market for post swims to combat the chlorine, but if not, try something like Dove or Aveeno body wash or a baby wash which is gentler. You may also consider spraying yourself down in sesame oil ( not the cooking version) before you towel off.
  • Hi there and welcome! With 2showers and soaps you might be washing off a lot of your body’s oils. There are some good products on the market for post swims to combat the chlorine, but if not, try something like Dove or Aveeno body wash or a baby wash which is gentler. You may also consider spraying yourself down in sesame oil ( not the cooking version) before you towel off.
Children
No Data