No kick

I'm something of a newbie to masters, though I've been swimming a long time. I have no kick, zero, nada. I have tried at masters swim workouts, but if I attempt to move down the lane using kick only, I float absolutely still in the water. If I kick a lot, I get cramps in feet and calfs. What to do???
Parents
  • Have you talked to her coach? ....have you talked to her coach? That might be useful but the OP notes: ... The coach speechless. You might want to speak with another coach. Also, the forumites here might be able to give more insight with some times, age, years swimming, etc. For example, if you daughter is doing repeat 100s kick sub 1:30 on the 2:00 send-off while her teammates are barely making the interval that's one thing, but if she is taking 1:30 to kick a 50 while her teammates are taking 1:45 that's another thing. (In the first case you have a truly good kicker on your hands, in the second the difference isn't especially radical.) Next, if we know her swim times relative to her kick times it will be easier to guesstimate whether there is actually a problem with her swimming, or just an anomalously fast kick relative to her team. I don't see that a fast kick is ever a bad thing though! Sounds like fun!
  • Have you talked to her coach? ....have you talked to her coach? That might be useful but the OP notes: ... The coach speechless. You might want to speak with another coach. Also, the forumites here might be able to give more insight with some times, age, years swimming, etc. For example, if you daughter is doing repeat 100s kick sub 1:30 on the 2:00 send-off while her teammates are barely making the interval that's one thing, but if she is taking 1:30 to kick a 50 while her teammates are taking 1:45 that's another thing. (In the first case you have a truly good kicker on your hands, in the second the difference isn't especially radical.) Next, if we know her swim times relative to her kick times it will be easier to guesstimate whether there is actually a problem with her swimming, or just an anomalously fast kick relative to her team. I don't see that a fast kick is ever a bad thing though! Sounds like fun!
Children
No Data