No kick

I'm something of a newbie to masters, though I've been swimming a long time. I have no kick, zero, nada. I have tried at masters swim workouts, but if I attempt to move down the lane using kick only, I float absolutely still in the water. If I kick a lot, I get cramps in feet and calfs. What to do???
Parents
  • Hi! I'm very new to this whole swimming thing :) My daughter is doing high school varsity swim. Here's my question... she flies past everyone, and laps most when doing kicking drills with a kickboard and snorkel. The coach speechless. Her speed is kind of freaky, actually. Then, when it's time for a stroke, she's in the bottom half of finishers. What is the deal?? How can we fix this? Thanks everyone! Sue Have you talked to her coach? A lot of kids don't put forth as much effort on kick sets as they do on normal ones. That may be a factor. And since it is just a HS team, the USA swimmers who are less likely to take it easy on the kicking are probably not practicing with the HS team, but rather their club teams. She may just have a really, really strong kick, which may be another. Of course, she may not be coordinating her kick with her pull when the whole stroke comes. So there are three things that pop into my mind that may answer the "what is the deal??" part of your post. As for fixing it......only one of those would require fixing. Which brings me back to.....have you talked to her coach?
  • Hi! I'm very new to this whole swimming thing :) My daughter is doing high school varsity swim. Here's my question... she flies past everyone, and laps most when doing kicking drills with a kickboard and snorkel. The coach speechless. Her speed is kind of freaky, actually. Then, when it's time for a stroke, she's in the bottom half of finishers. What is the deal?? How can we fix this? Thanks everyone! Sue Have you talked to her coach? A lot of kids don't put forth as much effort on kick sets as they do on normal ones. That may be a factor. And since it is just a HS team, the USA swimmers who are less likely to take it easy on the kicking are probably not practicing with the HS team, but rather their club teams. She may just have a really, really strong kick, which may be another. Of course, she may not be coordinating her kick with her pull when the whole stroke comes. So there are three things that pop into my mind that may answer the "what is the deal??" part of your post. As for fixing it......only one of those would require fixing. Which brings me back to.....have you talked to her coach?
Children
No Data