Oversized Paddles

Former Member
Former Member
My swim buddy is doing long distance swims with over sized Michael Phelps paddles. Can this harm her physically ?
Parents
  • I recently read in a Facebook swimming group how someone used paddles to swim a 10k. I don't know the specifics, if it was in a pool, open-water, continuous, or anything else. After people posted concern, he had to re-post and defend how he felt fine (the next day), etc. For years I keep paddles as part of my, "bag of toys." Depending on the day, I might use them for a few hundred, mostly just to mix things up and add some variety. The past few Sundays I did some long swims at Barton Springs (kind of a pool/open-water place in Austin); I did a few loops swim with fins, and 2 swim with Agility paddles. So out of 4.75 miles, about .5 mile was with paddles (.75 with fins). To me that combination seems to work to mix things up, and get some of the positive benefits of the toys (both fins and paddles can help technique). I also have TYR Catalyst paddles, in a rather large size. I used to sometimes use them for 1/4 (or more) of my workout. I last used them back in March. I was training for some open water swims, did a 12,000+ yard training swim in a pool, and I did at least 1000 with those. The next day I had shoulder problems. It might have been the paddles, might have been the volume, or probably a combination of the two. I took things easier for a week, did more stroke (I was fine doing back and ***), and re-built back up the following week with another 12k+ swim and I was fine. But no paddles at all in that time. So to echo nearly everyone else here...these toys are usually ok when used in moderation. Of course some people may be able to handle more, and some less.
  • I recently read in a Facebook swimming group how someone used paddles to swim a 10k. I don't know the specifics, if it was in a pool, open-water, continuous, or anything else. After people posted concern, he had to re-post and defend how he felt fine (the next day), etc. For years I keep paddles as part of my, "bag of toys." Depending on the day, I might use them for a few hundred, mostly just to mix things up and add some variety. The past few Sundays I did some long swims at Barton Springs (kind of a pool/open-water place in Austin); I did a few loops swim with fins, and 2 swim with Agility paddles. So out of 4.75 miles, about .5 mile was with paddles (.75 with fins). To me that combination seems to work to mix things up, and get some of the positive benefits of the toys (both fins and paddles can help technique). I also have TYR Catalyst paddles, in a rather large size. I used to sometimes use them for 1/4 (or more) of my workout. I last used them back in March. I was training for some open water swims, did a 12,000+ yard training swim in a pool, and I did at least 1000 with those. The next day I had shoulder problems. It might have been the paddles, might have been the volume, or probably a combination of the two. I took things easier for a week, did more stroke (I was fine doing back and ***), and re-built back up the following week with another 12k+ swim and I was fine. But no paddles at all in that time. So to echo nearly everyone else here...these toys are usually ok when used in moderation. Of course some people may be able to handle more, and some less.
Children
No Data