Entry-Level Tech Suit: Hydrophobic Fiber or Taped Seams

Former Member
Former Member
Hi all. I'm considering purchasing an entry-level (read--cheap) tech suit for this summer's slate of open water swims and I'm trying to decide whether hydrophobic fiber or taped seams is more important. Any thoughts/experience? Thanks!
Parents
  • This helps - I was not sure of your gender. I still think water temp should be a major consideration since there is a big difference between 75 and 65 and sunny vs cloudy. On a sunny and calm day, I could tolerate 75 degrees for that period of time. If it was cloudy, windy/calm, and only 65, I would be in trouble without a wetsuit. Even a sleeveless wetsuit provides far more thermal protection than jammers (which is none). Check to see if they allow neoprene caps for the race. Although they chafe a bit, they really help keep your head warm - compared to latex or silicone. Still would go with the Speedo lazer or aquablade or TYR equivalent. The benefit of something like an Arena carbon is negligible under than conditions. I graduated from Dartmouth in the 70's. I get back 1-2x per year. I wanted to do the Kingdom swim, but the water temp is too cold for me - without a wetsuit anyway. I completely understand wanting to do the race in a jammer to reduce the number of people you are racing against. I have raced Alcatraz twice - with and without a wetsuit (water is 59). I hope to do it a third time, without a wetsuit, when I turn 70 (and a new age group) because I suspect there won't be many foolish enough to do it without one - increases my chances of winning instead of placing 3rd or 4th. Hope this helps...
  • This helps - I was not sure of your gender. I still think water temp should be a major consideration since there is a big difference between 75 and 65 and sunny vs cloudy. On a sunny and calm day, I could tolerate 75 degrees for that period of time. If it was cloudy, windy/calm, and only 65, I would be in trouble without a wetsuit. Even a sleeveless wetsuit provides far more thermal protection than jammers (which is none). Check to see if they allow neoprene caps for the race. Although they chafe a bit, they really help keep your head warm - compared to latex or silicone. Still would go with the Speedo lazer or aquablade or TYR equivalent. The benefit of something like an Arena carbon is negligible under than conditions. I graduated from Dartmouth in the 70's. I get back 1-2x per year. I wanted to do the Kingdom swim, but the water temp is too cold for me - without a wetsuit anyway. I completely understand wanting to do the race in a jammer to reduce the number of people you are racing against. I have raced Alcatraz twice - with and without a wetsuit (water is 59). I hope to do it a third time, without a wetsuit, when I turn 70 (and a new age group) because I suspect there won't be many foolish enough to do it without one - increases my chances of winning instead of placing 3rd or 4th. Hope this helps...
Children
No Data