Entry-Level Tech Suit: Hydrophobic Fiber or Taped Seams

Former Member
Former Member
Hi all. I'm considering purchasing an entry-level (read--cheap) tech suit for this summer's slate of open water swims and I'm trying to decide whether hydrophobic fiber or taped seams is more important. Any thoughts/experience? Thanks!
Parents
  • Tech suits aren't common at open water events. I've never worn one, in the pool or open water. It's not just that they are expensive. Tech suits are tight and hard to get on/off. Does that mean they'll chafe a lot? What happens to the fabric when you use sunscreen and glide/grease? How will you navigate calls of nature before, during and after your swim? Whatever suit you decide to wear (especially to the Chesapeake Bay swim where the water is brackish and silty) I suggest you wear it enough in training that you know its chafe points, and apply glide or grease accordingly. Same with your cap and goggles.
  • Tech suits aren't common at open water events. I've never worn one, in the pool or open water. It's not just that they are expensive. Tech suits are tight and hard to get on/off. Does that mean they'll chafe a lot? What happens to the fabric when you use sunscreen and glide/grease? How will you navigate calls of nature before, during and after your swim? Whatever suit you decide to wear (especially to the Chesapeake Bay swim where the water is brackish and silty) I suggest you wear it enough in training that you know its chafe points, and apply glide or grease accordingly. Same with your cap and goggles.
Children
No Data