Swim Cap Advantage?

Former Member
Former Member
Apologies if the answer to this is in this forum, or on the internet in general, but my searching skills are obviously lacking. So, I keep reading that swimcaps reduce drag. What are we talking about here - a 1% advantage over not wearing a cap, if all else remain equal? 2%? If I wear a cap, could my 40.5sec 50m (which I have done 3x) be sub40? :)
Parents
  • Popov shaved his head, so I don't think that is a fair comparison...... Two things not mentioned: 1. Protect your hair. My hair is a LOT less brittle and stiff when I wear a cap. 2. Probably (i.e. I am speculating) keeps your hair out of the pool, and helps alleviate strain on the pool filtration system. I mentioned #2 in my snide comment way above! Can't express in writing how annoyed I get when I partially ingest a long hair and then see swimmers in the pool with long hair (males and females) not wearing caps. This is pool pet peeve #2 after those who don't shower before jumping in the pool. Yuck!
  • Popov shaved his head, so I don't think that is a fair comparison...... Two things not mentioned: 1. Protect your hair. My hair is a LOT less brittle and stiff when I wear a cap. 2. Probably (i.e. I am speculating) keeps your hair out of the pool, and helps alleviate strain on the pool filtration system. I mentioned #2 in my snide comment way above! Can't express in writing how annoyed I get when I partially ingest a long hair and then see swimmers in the pool with long hair (males and females) not wearing caps. This is pool pet peeve #2 after those who don't shower before jumping in the pool. Yuck!
Children
No Data