13yrs old after a year of swimming - what now?

Former Member
Former Member
Dear friends, hello from Poland this is Hubert father of a 13yrs old girl height: 175cm 5 feet, 8.89 inches. My daughter Lena has been swimming in a swimming club in Warsaw, Poland, Central Europe :) for almost a year. This is her first year. She has been swimming 4-5 times a week 60 minutes/session, every 3-4 weeks she takes parts in some competitions. I have noticed that after the first big step in her swimming progress now she has "swum to the wall". I mean the progress in her results is very, very little. Of course it seems to be normal that the progress at the beginning is huge BUT what now? The coach does not seem to be interested in improving technics aspects of my daughter swimming. He does not teach her the proper jump, the proper reversion etc, she is just "swimming miles". Shall I let the coach do his job? Or consult it with independent coach? In my opinion the improvement of technical aspects of her swimming could "cut" her more seconds. So her results are 100 freestyle (50m) 1:16:42, 100 backstroke (50m) 1:27:50. Or maybe after 8 months of swimming You can't expect anything better and we should be happy with the progress? this is Lena from last Saturday - Lena is line nr 6 www.youtube.com/watch Regards, Hubert
Parents
  • Hubert, thank you for introducing yourself on the forum and sharing the video of your daughter's stroke. I know the Polish swimming community well - for 11 years, I organized an international swimming competition which took place in a different country each year. We held the competition in Slupsk in 2008, and had European champion Beata Kaminska there to award the medals. We felt very welcomed in Poland and had a great experience working with the organizing team! www.euswim.org/.../ For someone who has only been swimming competitively for 8 months, Lena has an impressive stroke technique! The foundational elements are in place and she will need to continue to develop her conditioning, and fine-tune elements of her technique. But always keep in mind that she is, relatively speaking, still a very new swimmer and all of this can take time to develop. While you are of course free to consult with other coaches or give your daughter private technique lessons, try to make sure that this does not cause too much conflict with your daughter's current coach, who seems to be doing a great job so far. Most important is for your daughter - and you! - to enjoy the process of improving and to enjoy the journey along her swimming career. Best of luck!
  • Hubert, thank you for introducing yourself on the forum and sharing the video of your daughter's stroke. I know the Polish swimming community well - for 11 years, I organized an international swimming competition which took place in a different country each year. We held the competition in Slupsk in 2008, and had European champion Beata Kaminska there to award the medals. We felt very welcomed in Poland and had a great experience working with the organizing team! www.euswim.org/.../ For someone who has only been swimming competitively for 8 months, Lena has an impressive stroke technique! The foundational elements are in place and she will need to continue to develop her conditioning, and fine-tune elements of her technique. But always keep in mind that she is, relatively speaking, still a very new swimmer and all of this can take time to develop. While you are of course free to consult with other coaches or give your daughter private technique lessons, try to make sure that this does not cause too much conflict with your daughter's current coach, who seems to be doing a great job so far. Most important is for your daughter - and you! - to enjoy the process of improving and to enjoy the journey along her swimming career. Best of luck!
Children
No Data