Swimming with Type-1 Diabetes

Hi, all. First forum posting, so sorry if there's a better category for this. I'm looking to find other Master's swimmers (or generally competitive swimmers) with type-1 diabetes to be able to discuss/troubleshoot issues that come up due to T1D, especially because--apart from Masters swimmers--few people, including most endocrinologists, seem to understand what I mean when I say I'm a swimmer. (I think they think I mean I float in the pool, not that I'm swimming for both fitness and competition in a fairly high intense workout.) Anyway, I'm hoping to find other type 1 diabetics to commiserate with overall... But at the moment I'm especially interested in anyone who uses an insulin pump and/or a continuous glucose monitor, because I find wearing both of these to present particular challenges to swimming, especially swimming at high speeds, and I'm interested in learning what others do to be able to swim fast while keeping the best possible diabetic control (which in many ways swimming helps!). Thanks, Jimmy
Parents
  • Jimmy, Type 1 here and new to Masters but have been swimming for a while now. I was diagnosed in 89’ and have used a pump since maybe 2006. Im a marathoner by trade so lots that I have gained from that sport I have incorporated into swimming. If you are still interested to discuss we can talk in more detail offline but I’ll do my best to spell it out here for any others who might need some help. generally say AM workouts are best while fasted and zero insulin on board I.e bolus for highs or food. I have personal profiles set up to trend my blood sugar up in the AM so I can establish a nicelat line when starting. I disconnect my pump as soon as I’m ready to jump in and keep it off for the duration of the swim. I have a CGM which connects to my pump and phone. I refer to my phone if need while swimming to capture lows and keep my pump well away from the pool. When completed 1-1 1/2 hours later I reconnect and verify my blood sugar. I head home and make sure to pre bolus for the impending rise that is associated with endurance sports and while also correcting for breakfast 20 minutes before I eat. The days that I do AM and PM pool swims I front load my eating so that I do not have any IOB before my next swim. PM swims I usually have a carbohydrate reduced protein drink about 45 minutes before I start. Same process while swimming applies to AM and PM. I do not eat dinner after I’m done but I do correct for any highs associated with the endurance swim. 

• Jimmy, Type 1 here and new to Masters but have been swimming for a while now. I was diagnosed in 89’ and have used a pump since maybe 2006. Im a marathoner by trade so lots that I have gained from that sport I have incorporated into swimming. If you are still interested to discuss we can talk in more detail offline but I’ll do my best to spell it out here for any others who might need some help. generally say AM workouts are best while fasted and zero insulin on board I.e bolus for highs or food. I have personal profiles set up to trend my blood sugar up in the AM so I can establish a nicelat line when starting. I disconnect my pump as soon as I’m ready to jump in and keep it off for the duration of the swim. I have a CGM which connects to my pump and phone. I refer to my phone if need while swimming to capture lows and keep my pump well away from the pool. When completed 1-1 1/2 hours later I reconnect and verify my blood sugar. I head home and make sure to pre bolus for the impending rise that is associated with endurance sports and while also correcting for breakfast 20 minutes before I eat. The days that I do AM and PM pool swims I front load my eating so that I do not have any IOB before my next swim. PM swims I usually have a carbohydrate reduced protein drink about 45 minutes before I start. Same process while swimming applies to AM and PM. I do not eat dinner after I’m done but I do correct for any highs associated with the endurance swim. 

Children
No Data