Under what temperature will you start wearing a wetsuit?

Former Member
Former Member
I'm very afraid of hot weather and prefer to swim in cool water. (unfortunately all triathlon / aquathon races, and all but one OW swimming race in my place are held in hot seasons where wetsuit is never legal, which for me is a great disadvantage especially in the run) I'm seeing people wearing a wetsuit in temperature that I consider too warm for me to swim at race speed on skin, and wonder how don't they overheat in a wetsuit. For a mile swim, what temperature will you start wearing a wetsuit, assuming little difference between air and water temperature and little wind?
Parents
  • Agree you should move this to the Open Water Swimming forum. If you do that, you might consider adding some temperatures below 60. For me, I've only ever worn a wetsuit twice (it was required for the races) and the water was in the low 60s. Wouldn't have worn it if I was required to. Later, I swam a few swims in the upper 50s without a wetsuit and did fine. I guess theoretically if the water temp was below 54 I might consider that cold enough for one (still wouldn't wear it). But I might answer differently in a year as I'm about to get back in the open water up here to acclimatize myself to colder temps. Maybe in a year I would answer 50 or even 49?
  • Agree you should move this to the Open Water Swimming forum. If you do that, you might consider adding some temperatures below 60. For me, I've only ever worn a wetsuit twice (it was required for the races) and the water was in the low 60s. Wouldn't have worn it if I was required to. Later, I swam a few swims in the upper 50s without a wetsuit and did fine. I guess theoretically if the water temp was below 54 I might consider that cold enough for one (still wouldn't wear it). But I might answer differently in a year as I'm about to get back in the open water up here to acclimatize myself to colder temps. Maybe in a year I would answer 50 or even 49?
Children
No Data