USRPT training - how should I identify goal time?

Former Member
Former Member
I am going to add some USRPT training later because I love the idea of fast feedback. I tried a set last October, with target time 2'5" / 100 m (5 seconds faster than the pace on a recent 1500 m T/T) (although not strictly in adherence because I started every 2'20" instead of 2'25" for 20 seconds rest) and within a week I pushed my first failure from 8 to completing all 30, requiring me to "level up". I tried reducing the target time by 5 seconds / 100 m but it became too hard such that I couldn't get through the initial 5. Afterwards the pool I used closed so I didn't continue this training, but I am looking to resume it when the pool reopens again next week. I will take a 1500 m T/T the first time I get back to the pool. I consider that a pace is too easy if I can complete all 30 reps without a failure, and too hard if I can't get through the initial 5. How should I identify my initial goal time? Is directly using the 1500 m T/T pace good enough, or should I reduce a few seconds? And if I need to level up, how many seconds should I take away for each 100 m? I am currently targeting my 1500 m speed in these few months, however eventually I will need to race for 5 km a few months later, and 15 km next year, and will need to modify the workout for that? Does anyone have any hints or should I return to traditional training by then? I want to build up my speed first, then endurance second, because I can swim for 5 - 7 km continuously without problem now, but at a very slow speed (around 2 hours for 5 km).
Parents
  • I agree that good technique is paramount, but keeping motivated is also important. Generally for USRPT one sets their goal time based on their goal for swimming in a race. You seem to have set it based on extrapolations from a timed 1500. This is going to be closer to giving you a VOmax time than a USRPT time. Building your speed before building your endurance is certainly backwards by conventional wisdom, but also certainly USRPT builds endurance. If you want to focus on speed then focus on speed. I'd suggest setting a 200 goal time, divide that by 4 and take that as your goal time, then 20 sec rest and go again. Rushall says not to worry about failure in the first 5 as your body is getting used to the work. If your first failure then is at 6, fine, failure leads to adaptation. Will this help you 1500, absolutely(as long as technique improves.) As Dave Salo says"all my swimmers are sprinters, the 1500 is just a long sprint". Granted his swimmers are elite, but having the ability to "get into a higher gear" is useful. My 2 cents: I'm not an expert or "convert" to USRPT, but I've generally followed a USRPT program (adapted to age and ability) over the past 6 months to train for a 1200 M open water swim. It has worked, IMHO, and it has been motivating. 30 X 100M on a goal time for 1500 with :20 rest worked for me, though it took a few weeks to understand the conditions that led to the best improvements in both speed and endurance. The trick for me seemed to be to set the goal time so as to be able to get to first fail at ca. 12, but not to drop the goal time until able to fail only once in 30. Once I got that deep with only one fail I dropped my goal time by 1 second (not 5!). By the time the 1200 M rolled around I was able to do a time similar to what I did about 4 years ago (before shoulder surgery), about 1:35/100 (assuming the course was accurate). Also, my aerobic capacity has significantly improved over past years. (And, for the first time ever, I'm losing excess weight swimming - all that aerobic work, I think). One adaptation to my age has been to not swim every day, but every other day. At 60 yrs (and with shoulder issues in the past) managing recovery is more important than managing effort. If you're younger, you might be able to improve more quickly. The swimming was also accompanied by religious adherence to my physiotherapy regime - including resistance band work before and after each swim. I recommend getting into a good physiotherapist for shoulder work to every swimmer, regardless of age. As for developing speed, I'm now shifting to sets of 50M based on my 200 M goal time, and sets of 25M on :15 rest for 100 goal time, across the four strokes. Feels like lifting weights, but I'm happy with it so far. Best thing is I am confident I can expect improvements. I agree that, at 2 min per 100 for a 1500 you really need to focus on technique to improve speed, but unlike others, I think USRPT is actually a very good forum for technique work, if approached with the right mindset. In particular, sets of 25 to 30 X 25M on :15 rest allow me to really focus on my technique for each 25. Failure in such sets is (should be) as much a failure of technique as it is of any conditioning - if you've found the right goal time. Never, ever, simply slog away with junk miles in the water. Swimming is like dance - power without technique is hazardous, but good technique requires strength. You gotta always work on both. Workout with a purpose and with a plan (unless you want to fund a surgeon's retirement). This is all one big experiment for me, but so far, so good.
  • I agree that good technique is paramount, but keeping motivated is also important. Generally for USRPT one sets their goal time based on their goal for swimming in a race. You seem to have set it based on extrapolations from a timed 1500. This is going to be closer to giving you a VOmax time than a USRPT time. Building your speed before building your endurance is certainly backwards by conventional wisdom, but also certainly USRPT builds endurance. If you want to focus on speed then focus on speed. I'd suggest setting a 200 goal time, divide that by 4 and take that as your goal time, then 20 sec rest and go again. Rushall says not to worry about failure in the first 5 as your body is getting used to the work. If your first failure then is at 6, fine, failure leads to adaptation. Will this help you 1500, absolutely(as long as technique improves.) As Dave Salo says"all my swimmers are sprinters, the 1500 is just a long sprint". Granted his swimmers are elite, but having the ability to "get into a higher gear" is useful. My 2 cents: I'm not an expert or "convert" to USRPT, but I've generally followed a USRPT program (adapted to age and ability) over the past 6 months to train for a 1200 M open water swim. It has worked, IMHO, and it has been motivating. 30 X 100M on a goal time for 1500 with :20 rest worked for me, though it took a few weeks to understand the conditions that led to the best improvements in both speed and endurance. The trick for me seemed to be to set the goal time so as to be able to get to first fail at ca. 12, but not to drop the goal time until able to fail only once in 30. Once I got that deep with only one fail I dropped my goal time by 1 second (not 5!). By the time the 1200 M rolled around I was able to do a time similar to what I did about 4 years ago (before shoulder surgery), about 1:35/100 (assuming the course was accurate). Also, my aerobic capacity has significantly improved over past years. (And, for the first time ever, I'm losing excess weight swimming - all that aerobic work, I think). One adaptation to my age has been to not swim every day, but every other day. At 60 yrs (and with shoulder issues in the past) managing recovery is more important than managing effort. If you're younger, you might be able to improve more quickly. The swimming was also accompanied by religious adherence to my physiotherapy regime - including resistance band work before and after each swim. I recommend getting into a good physiotherapist for shoulder work to every swimmer, regardless of age. As for developing speed, I'm now shifting to sets of 50M based on my 200 M goal time, and sets of 25M on :15 rest for 100 goal time, across the four strokes. Feels like lifting weights, but I'm happy with it so far. Best thing is I am confident I can expect improvements. I agree that, at 2 min per 100 for a 1500 you really need to focus on technique to improve speed, but unlike others, I think USRPT is actually a very good forum for technique work, if approached with the right mindset. In particular, sets of 25 to 30 X 25M on :15 rest allow me to really focus on my technique for each 25. Failure in such sets is (should be) as much a failure of technique as it is of any conditioning - if you've found the right goal time. Never, ever, simply slog away with junk miles in the water. Swimming is like dance - power without technique is hazardous, but good technique requires strength. You gotta always work on both. Workout with a purpose and with a plan (unless you want to fund a surgeon's retirement). This is all one big experiment for me, but so far, so good.
Children
No Data