Training choices

Just a quick question: is it reasonable (ok, no it’s not, but is is possible) to train for swim meets (i.e. 1650 & 500 free) and long distance open water (5-10K+) swims simultaneously? I’ve got YMCA nationals and a 7mile “Swim Around Lido Key” within two weeks of each other!!
Parents
  • I'll be swimming the first and last legs of the SCAR swim this year. Since I'll be in the area, I'm thinking of swimming a few events at USMS nationals. Maybe it is too much... the 1000 free the day after swimming 10 miles. Then the 500 the following day (and possibly also the 200 ***). I know I won't be breaking any records. Heck, according to my USMS results, I haven't swum either of the free events in a meet, well not SCY at least. I did a 1000 for time during a workout a few weeks ago in about 13:30, and think that would probably be a good goal time under the circumstances. What say the group? Go for it, or just relax for a few days before the 10k swim?
  • I'll be swimming the first and last legs of the SCAR swim this year. Since I'll be in the area, I'm thinking of swimming a few events at USMS nationals. Maybe it is too much... the 1000 free the day after swimming 10 miles. Then the 500 the following day (and possibly also the 200 ***). I know I won't be breaking any records. Heck, according to my USMS results, I haven't swum either of the free events in a meet, well not SCY at least. I did a 1000 for time during a workout a few weeks ago in about 13:30, and think that would probably be a good goal time under the circumstances. What say the group? Go for it, or just relax for a few days before the 10k swim?
Children
No Data