tricep fatigue

Former Member
Former Member
When I swim freestyle continuously above my sustainable speed, the first thing which fails me is my deltoid - when fatigue set in I can no longer do a proper EVF catch and the exit is also affected as well. However I've heard that the most used muscle in freestyle swimming is the lats, but I feel my lats only when I swim longer than 3k - by that time my deltoid have fatigued so much to the extent that it affects my swimming seriously. What does the above symptom mean?
Parents
  • Miklcct, Thanks for the additional information and clarification. As mentioned early in this thread, a video is essential for any of us to offer suggestions. Deltoids are pretty small muscles and not prime movers for any of the swimming strokes. They aid in arm recovery - not in propulsion. IMO, if your deltoids are fatiguing that much, it is technique issue again - not a strength issue. Again, IMO, EVF is an aspect of freestyle technigue that is more advanced than you are ready to tackle. In fact, EVF is a challenge for even very advanced swimmers. To do properly, it requires a very strong kick or very strong, flexible shoulders. Personally, I do not advocate EVF for most swimmers because they lack the kick power and shoulder flexibility. A deeper pull that enables the "reach over a barrel" concept works for 99% of the swimmers out there. Since you have watched the Swim Smooth videos, their example of a smooth swimmer is a pretty good one to emulate. This guy is more a reach over a barrel guy. If you want one really good example of EVF, watch video of Ian Thorpe. Can't help any more with video. Good Luck.
  • Miklcct, Thanks for the additional information and clarification. As mentioned early in this thread, a video is essential for any of us to offer suggestions. Deltoids are pretty small muscles and not prime movers for any of the swimming strokes. They aid in arm recovery - not in propulsion. IMO, if your deltoids are fatiguing that much, it is technique issue again - not a strength issue. Again, IMO, EVF is an aspect of freestyle technigue that is more advanced than you are ready to tackle. In fact, EVF is a challenge for even very advanced swimmers. To do properly, it requires a very strong kick or very strong, flexible shoulders. Personally, I do not advocate EVF for most swimmers because they lack the kick power and shoulder flexibility. A deeper pull that enables the "reach over a barrel" concept works for 99% of the swimmers out there. Since you have watched the Swim Smooth videos, their example of a smooth swimmer is a pretty good one to emulate. This guy is more a reach over a barrel guy. If you want one really good example of EVF, watch video of Ian Thorpe. Can't help any more with video. Good Luck.
Children
No Data