tricep fatigue

Former Member
Former Member
When I swim freestyle continuously above my sustainable speed, the first thing which fails me is my deltoid - when fatigue set in I can no longer do a proper EVF catch and the exit is also affected as well. However I've heard that the most used muscle in freestyle swimming is the lats, but I feel my lats only when I swim longer than 3k - by that time my deltoid have fatigued so much to the extent that it affects my swimming seriously. What does the above symptom mean?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    miklcct, It will really help to have you post a video of your swimming. In one of your previous posts, you mentioned that your stroke count (for a length of a 50 meter pool) ranges from 42 to as high as 64. Your stroke count should NOT change more than 2-3 strokes/length no matter how tired you are. To me, coupled with your comment about tricep fatigue, you may be doing one or both of the following: a) straight arm pulling and/or elbow first pulling w/ a cocked wrist. Either of these will stress the tricep more than the lats or pecs. I also suspect you are NOT doing EVF effectively. We have a fellow at our pool who takes 60 strokes/25 yards. Yup - no joke. His arm is never straight, his elbow always leads the pull, and his hand exits the water in front of his hip. I swim almost 100 yards in the time it takes him to swim 35 yards and I am not going fast. So, putting all of your posts together suggest that your technique is severely limiting. Video is really the only way for this forum to help and finding a coach would also be helpful. Good Luck Paul I haven't got a video yet because some of the pools I use don't allow video-recording. I joined a session in a club last night and the coach identified some problems in my legs making me slow down, but the club will be suspending training in December so after a month I will be on my own again. Your have mentioned something about elbow first pulling w/ a cocked wrist. That may be exactly my problem when I get tired, at that time I no longer had the ability to do the pull properly. In a drill using paddles, even the first 50 seems very difficult for me despite using small paddles. Let me clarify about my stroke count - 42 is done using excessive gliding and unreproduceable even long period of rest in the same session; 46 is done in the beginning of a session when starting slowly as a kind of warm up; 50 is the minimum sustainable at "continuous slow swimming" (about CSS + 10"), requiring me to mentally count it every lap; 54 is about the number where I start an interval set at my maximum sustainable pace; 58 is when I start to get tired and working hard to sustain the pace; and 62 is the number where I am breaking down, telling me to stop my set. i.e. the vastly different stroke counts are done at different combinations of speeds and intensities. Btw, what I am doing in these weeks are: 1 - 2 USRPT sessions (at most 30 x 100 m on 15 - 20 s rest, upgrading my target when I can do them all - just passed the 2'5" / 100 m target on Monday and will do 2'0" / 100 m afterwards) ​1 sprint session - swim 50 - 200 s as fast as possible with long recovery periods, may include a little technique work if time allows 1 coached session in my swim club - this session is labelled "improvers" and suitable for people in 2'0" - 2'20" / 100 m range - with a lot of drills 1 open water session
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    miklcct, It will really help to have you post a video of your swimming. In one of your previous posts, you mentioned that your stroke count (for a length of a 50 meter pool) ranges from 42 to as high as 64. Your stroke count should NOT change more than 2-3 strokes/length no matter how tired you are. To me, coupled with your comment about tricep fatigue, you may be doing one or both of the following: a) straight arm pulling and/or elbow first pulling w/ a cocked wrist. Either of these will stress the tricep more than the lats or pecs. I also suspect you are NOT doing EVF effectively. We have a fellow at our pool who takes 60 strokes/25 yards. Yup - no joke. His arm is never straight, his elbow always leads the pull, and his hand exits the water in front of his hip. I swim almost 100 yards in the time it takes him to swim 35 yards and I am not going fast. So, putting all of your posts together suggest that your technique is severely limiting. Video is really the only way for this forum to help and finding a coach would also be helpful. Good Luck Paul I haven't got a video yet because some of the pools I use don't allow video-recording. I joined a session in a club last night and the coach identified some problems in my legs making me slow down, but the club will be suspending training in December so after a month I will be on my own again. Your have mentioned something about elbow first pulling w/ a cocked wrist. That may be exactly my problem when I get tired, at that time I no longer had the ability to do the pull properly. In a drill using paddles, even the first 50 seems very difficult for me despite using small paddles. Let me clarify about my stroke count - 42 is done using excessive gliding and unreproduceable even long period of rest in the same session; 46 is done in the beginning of a session when starting slowly as a kind of warm up; 50 is the minimum sustainable at "continuous slow swimming" (about CSS + 10"), requiring me to mentally count it every lap; 54 is about the number where I start an interval set at my maximum sustainable pace; 58 is when I start to get tired and working hard to sustain the pace; and 62 is the number where I am breaking down, telling me to stop my set. i.e. the vastly different stroke counts are done at different combinations of speeds and intensities. Btw, what I am doing in these weeks are: 1 - 2 USRPT sessions (at most 30 x 100 m on 15 - 20 s rest, upgrading my target when I can do them all - just passed the 2'5" / 100 m target on Monday and will do 2'0" / 100 m afterwards) ​1 sprint session - swim 50 - 200 s as fast as possible with long recovery periods, may include a little technique work if time allows 1 coached session in my swim club - this session is labelled "improvers" and suitable for people in 2'0" - 2'20" / 100 m range - with a lot of drills 1 open water session
Children
No Data