USMS Fall Fitness Challenge (1 Mile swim)

I'm signed up for the USMS Fall Fitness challenge. Can someone explain what exactly I'm supposed to do? The rules/direction aren't really clear to me. Just swim a mile??? Am I suppose to time myself. Report my results to anyone? Dan
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    My goal for between now and the end of the year is to swim a mile in fewer minutes than my age in years, When I was an undergraduate, that was quite an accomplishment. I'm 65. Up until I turned 60, I always thought that if I could swim a mile at all, it would certainly be under an hour, but a couple of shoulder injuries have changed my thinking about that. I do a lot of thinking with my shoulders these days. I think I can do it, but I have to work up to it gradually but with perseverance. We'll see.
  • Former Member
    As far as I can tell, yes, "swim a mile" is the meat of it. I think it said you can log it on the fitness log, but there aren't any scores or formal timing. I gather some local clubs will host the mile swim as an internal even, but it's just a challenge and not a race or competition. I don't think anyone near me is having an event, so I'm just going to do it by myself.
  • As far as I can tell, yes, "swim a mile" is the meat of it. I think it said you can log it on the fitness log, but there aren't any scores or formal timing. I gather some local clubs will host the mile swim as an internal even, but it's just a challenge and not a race or competition. I don't think anyone near me is having an event, so I'm just going to do it by myself. Here's a list of clubs that are hosting: www.usms.org/.../fall-fitness-challenge.
  • Well, thanks for the responses. Seems like kind of a "non-event." I guess it's just something to charge an entry fee and they send you a swim cap. I sign up for these non-meet sort of events because although I'm a USMS member, I'm not really a "meet swimmer" per se. So...all I gotta do is swim a mile...and report it, or don't. Seems easy enough. Dan
  • A mile is 1760 yards or 1609 meters. Whether the pool is yards or meters, it will be a little off.
  • A mile is 1760 yards or 1609 meters. Whether the pool is yards or meters, it will be a little off. Yep. I swim usually in a 25m pool and generally count 1600m (32 laps) as "a mile." Yet in a 25yd pool I usually count 1800yds (36 laps) as a mile. But now you've got me wondering if this "Fitness Challenge 1-mile Swim" is meant to be a "swimming mile' of 1650 yds??? Not that one or the other is really more difficult. I guess I'm putting too much thought into it. Dan
  • Seems like kind of a "non-event." I guess it's just something to charge an entry fee and they send you a swim cap. None of these "Fitness Challenges" have made any sense. All of them (set lasting 30+ minutes; set totaling 2000+ yards; set totaling 1+ miles) are things that normal USMS teams do at least once a week.
  • To quote Nike, "Just do it!" Really, the main purpose of this is to raise money for the Swimming Saves Lives Foundation and to get out and get in a good, healthy swim. Nobody will be watching over you, nobody will be keeping track, and nobody cares what you do. I swim 72 lengths of our 25-yard pool which is just over a mile; however, it gets me back to where I started, rather than stopping in the middle of the pool! Dan, just get out there and have fun! :agree:
  • Former Member
    Here's a list of clubs that are hosting: www.usms.org/.../fall-fitness-challenge. Nobody in Mass. listed. :(
  • These are geared for the fitness swimmer, not necessarily team swimmers. The idea is to get more recreational swimmers involved and active in the sport. Hopefully, they will become ​team swimmers! I'm primarily a recreational swimmer, but did join a coached masters team last year. I have attempted to keep up with the workouts but at 70 I can sometimes only complete half what the others (30 & 40-somethings) are doing. It has given me less incentive to enter meets, knowing I would finish poorly even if I did my best. But a self-regulated thing such as this where I compare me to only me, does have an appeal.